add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

mSATA or mini PCI-E? I can't tell.

hydroc777

71 months ago

http://i.imgur.com/YrIRTy3.jpg

Ok guys, two questions. The first, is what kind of SSD do I actually have here? I tried looking it up and only succeeded in confusing myself. It comes out of my old Lenovo Y570 laptop that the motherboard fried on a while back. I'm about to build a computer, and I'd love to put it in since it still has Windows installed, so could save me a hundred bucks on the build.

That brings me to the second question, of how would I go about putting that into my computer? This is my build. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34qgK

Edit: It seems like it is in fact an mSATA drive, but if anyone can someone confirm that it would be great. I still need to figure out about getting it on the motherboard.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Seems like a regular sata drive to me...

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

whats the width if it is 2.5 inch its sata if its smaller its msata

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

It's definitely not a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. It's half the size or less of the 2.5 inch HDD that was in the computer.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

It's definitely msata

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Considering you have the product ID right there you can always google it.. im sure its somewhere on the internet.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I found a manual for the laptop that seems to say it's an mSATA. Now I just need to make sure that I can connect it to motherboard.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Your link to parts displays nothing. With that said, if mobo is MSI Z87-G43 Gaming from your other topic, that mobo does not have any mSATA slot.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

...yeah I messed that up. Fixed though. I think the MSI Z87-G45 Gaming will work. I think the extra cost will definitely be worth it if it saves me $90 on Windows.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

If that Windows was shipped with Windows, it is likely an OEM version. Legally, those versions are not transferable. With that said, be aware that Windows (specifically the Hardware Application Layer) may throw a temper tantrum due to change of mobo.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice, but I'm gonna have to take my chances. Besides, the HDD that was paired with that SSD still has a lot of data I want and wasn't able to get. If I have a chance to recover it still, that alone is worth it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube