add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
alucard21

18 months ago

I was wondering if McAfee is a good anti-virus because I got it installed on my computer. And it keeps flagging emulators is having possible viruses and ROM files. It's actually stopped a couple of viruses but I wanted to get somebody else's opinion.

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

McAfee? Good?

Throws head back. Laughs

Just use AVG and Malwarebytes

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I use Malwarebytes, never let me down. Stopped a few HUNDRED viruses at one time and McAfee missed basically ALL of them.

[comment deleted]
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

AVG Free version has never let me down, personally. Done more than windows defender.

[comment deleted]
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

It seems to catch malware better when it safe mode. I use AVG to take care of the more minor ones, then follow up with a scan from malwarebytes. Then, I reboot and rerun the scans in safe mode. Works every time.

[comment deleted]
  • 17 months ago
  • 2 points

What security products should I use?

Use BitDefender or Kaspersky as your primary antivirus (installed first)

Next, install Malwarebytes alongside as a 2nd opinion scanner.

Finally, install either Immunet or Comodo Internet Security for real-time protection.

If you want programs that work silently in the background for real-time protection, I highly suggest the combo of Bitdefender and Immunet. It's a very strong free security solution. If anyone reading this is a Mac user, Bitdefender is a strong security solution for Mac too!

Why not AVG/Avast?

It's lackluster, catches a very below average number of threats in tests against zero-day malware(less than 3 weeks old). AVG/Avast is extremely reliant on signature detection (ie. scanning for malware they already have acquired knowledge of) rather than heuristic detection (ie. scanning for files that behave like malware).

Wait, what's a virus and what's malware? What do these terms actually mean?

Virus is a particular term for a specific type of malware that was an extremely more common threat in the past. Meanwhile, malware is a generic term for any kind of threat or malicious software. Thus, it is true that malware is an all-inclusive term while virus is more specific.

Wait so what's the difference between malwarebytes and an antivirus? Does this mean anti-malware detects more threats?

Well let's take a look at two product names I mentioned at the beginning:

• BitDefender Antivirus
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Malwarebytes's marketing suggests that anti-malware is some new concept. That it provides defense antivirus does not. Even claiming that it makes antivirus obsolete. However, this simply isn't the case. If I threw both into a virtual machine today and scanned the same 1000 samples of randomly selected zero-day malware, spanning all types of malware...

• BitDefender: 90% of files detected and deleted/quarantined
  • Malwarebytes: 70% of files detected and deleted/quarantined

(I did this test a couple months ago for a friend, these aren't just random numbers)

Huh? I thought malware was a broader term! What gives?

While the terms would imply that anti-malware should detect more threats than an antivirus, the reality is that antivirus programs use that term inauthentically for multiple marketing reasons. Historically, that's what all security products were called during the time when viruses were far more prevalent. Meanwhile, the term antivirus has just become more well known. No product today is truly antivirus, they are all anti-malware.

Does this mean an antivirus product is always better than anti-malware?

No, that is not the case. Always look at reviews on security products to see the actual performance before you buy.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I use it, and though it does the job, it's not the best out there. I suggest you move on to something else.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

McAfee comes installed in a lot of new laptops and prebuilt, I wouldn't entirely trust them, I use Webroot.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

In my opinion, McAfee is quite lackluster. Even the stock Windows Defender would probably suit you better, especially since it is giving you false flags.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

No, a million times no. If you're looking for a full antivirus I would suggest Kaspersky. You can team it up with Malwarebytes for the added extra protection.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought the US government found conspiracy to be in collaboration as sharing secrets and s***. But I've heard it's good I just don't want my identity stolen. What do you think, should I do it.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I use to have McAfee, but I could never make an exception to a file or folder. So I went to bitdefender.

To me, bitdefender was lighter on my system

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Rumors about it, but nothing more yet. Time will tell if they sell out to the Russian Government entirely: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-11/kaspersky-lab-has-been-working-with-russian-intelligence

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I have been through a good amount of different antivirus software. I have used AVG, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, McAfee, Norton, and Webroot (and windows defender, if that counts, lol). McAfee was, in my opinion, the worst among them. To me it felt like a reskinned windows defender with slightly improved features. Aside from this, of all the different ones I have used, and all the research I have done, I give my thumbs up to Bitdefender, Kaspersky, and Malwarebytes. The majority of research I have done claims that Kaspersky and Bitdefender are on par with one another in terms of detection. However, I think that Bitdefender always felt a lot lighter on my system then Kaspersky. That's said, my absolute favorite is Malwarebytes. It is by far the lightest (in my experience), is quite reasonably priced, and from what I have read online seems to go head to head with the Bitdefender, or Kaspersky, in terms of detection.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I download a lot of emulators and a lot of like Android apks not in the App Store so it always Rings reads a false flag including Malwarebytes but I need some some sort of our antivirus or anti-malware I don't even really know what the difference is between the two or what I really need you know I also get on certain sites that shall not be named that are f** full of viruses advice would be helpful.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

How do you know that they are false positives?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I can't know for certain but I've read quite a bit in a lot of emulator forms that because of the way the code for certain games are written, they turn up false positives a lot.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

As a software dev, its usually cause games are written with a lot of low level assembling 'hacking' (especially in the engine layer of the game) in order to get performance enhancements and reduce the file size of the game. Games are also patched frequently nowadays and don't give AntiVir vendors a lot of time to adjust/recheck each new iteration of the game. Some games also come bundled with some shady "police" software (usually dubbed anticheat), to discourage players from cheating. Most of these are third party software bundles that use root-kit like techniques to police the client of the player while they are in game.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

McAfee is about as strong as wet paper. I was infected three times while paying for their best.

Never again.

Either Kaspersky, Bitdefender (currently using) or MalwareBytes. Nothing wrong with getting MalwareBytes as a secondary scanner.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube