add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
I_got_you

15 months ago

(Second time writing the post ..my phone died after I wrote almost a whole page, I'm going to simplify now.)

Trying to create a rescue USB boot drive. I currently use panda dome protection free software, so I tried their tool. I finally get it to boot and a comand prompt line comes up and says a few commands I guess?.. finally says requesting restart, restarting system. Then it just hangs there forever. Tried a new tool from ..Anvi, I believe, (not at my pc). Get it to boot and try to run a scan but it says not connected to the cloud server. I can't find any in depth directions for either tool. If anybody has used these or know how to solve my problem I would appreciate it. If you know a good free rescue USB boot drive software I can make please let me know.

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Rufus can create boot drives, but I would highly suggest using Window's own method - plain Command Prompt. Here's a link to do it - once you have set it bootable, just get an ISO in there and Windows will do everything itself.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm looking for a antivirus rescue USB boot drive. Not for windows. The purpose is to use the USB to boot for computers that can't even turn on properly due to malware. nevermind I see what your saying, but I'm not having trouble booting with the usb. It's the antivirus software isn't working. I need tips on one that works well or pointers for the one I'm using

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

i just use kapersky

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Is their rescue disk free?

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes. You can find instructions here.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks alot!

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

No problem, fam.

I got you. ;)

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

:D

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 15 months ago
  • 1 point

As ssjg5rlly mentioned, Kaspersky is a decent one.

Bitdefender is pretty good as well.

You could also go the live Linux route and install tools on your distro of choice.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

What exactly do you mean by > Live Linux route? I am not very familiar with Linux right now, I do plan to be.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Basically you can install some distros to a bootable USB. A USB with a full OS on it is referred to as a "live USB." Useful for bringing an on the go desktop environment with your own programs and data, troubleshooting, cleaning up malware, etc.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, how big of a USB would you recommend? And so basically I would plug in the USB boot from it and then it would have any antivirus programs I installed on it.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

It depends on the distro and what other functions you want. Let me be clear: a regular bootable rescue disk such as from Bitdefender or Kaspersky will be quicker to set up and work just fine if all you want is to check for malware. If you have other purposes such as having a portable environment or even just want a more complete toolkit (as in, recover deleted data, hardware diagnostics, move data off the drive so you can nuke it and reinstall Windows, etc), then this might be the preferable solution.

If you want to be able to copy data over to the USB, bigger is better. If you just want some basic tools and aren't concerned with storing a lot of data, a 4GB drive would likely be sufficient.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow thanks man! What distro would you recommend for a 4gb usb? I thought of trying Zorin lite os a while back, but I need to go check the size , I don't remember anymore

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube