add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Dtwenty
  • 22 months ago

TL:DWTR.. (What would you change or do different, hows it look?) Gaming/video editing/streaming

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TdMfvn

So, this past year I have helped a few friends with there builds and while I thought I would have my upgrades done by now I unfortunately have had some set backs. After speaking to my wife, she is letting me buy two parts every other week. I already have my card (1070ti) the rest is what I was gonna build over this summer. Originally I was going to go w/ an 8700 non-k due to value and what I was wanting it for but that was a few months ago and now that the 2700x is here i started thinking.... I saw in gaming benchmarks "@ 1440p and higher" the 8700k and 2700x are pretty close in performance but its that multi-threaded performance from the 2700x and @ its price which also comes with a pretty good cooler that has me thinking to now go Ryzen. (Overall Value)

Because of the way I am doing this, there really is no budget limit for parts but the more expensive the parts then the longer this will take.

What would you change or do different, or is my build thinking just plain wack?

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Possible Revision:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor $319.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $129.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $164.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $72.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $42.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case $88.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $118.35 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer - XG270HU 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor $319.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1348.07
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1318.07
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-20 18:21 EDT-0400

If you want all the RGB effects, go for it, but do make note of just how much it adds to the cost. Supplementary case fans can always be added after the fact if you are dissatisfied with fan noise or high temperatures, and over $100 for 3 fans is a rather high price to pay.

Selected a cheaper X470 motherboard that will still do the job. (You could get an even cheaper board, but the X470 chipset is nice to avoid the possibility of needing a BIOS update to use the 2700X.)

Also chose cheaper RAM that will perform similarly, and a cheaper SSD. The 960 EVO definitely performs better in benchmarks, but generally not in a way that's significant for the average user.

Left the case, since it has reasonably good airflow, and is mostly up to personal preference.

Selected a more reputable PSU. 650W is more than you need, but the 450/550W versions weren't much cheaper, anyways. You could also consider the fully-modular Focus Plus series, but your build would end up using all of the nonmodular connections on the semi-modular unit, anyways. Having a fully-modular version would just make the initial setup a bit easier; it wouldn't allow you to remove any excess cables that the semi-modular version wouldn't.

Selected a 27" 1440p/144Hz monitor. If you want an IPS display, go for it. Your 2700X/16GB RAM/1070ti is capable of going far beyond 60 FPS in most games. While you may not max 144 under many conditions, you'll still go noticeably past 60. Alternatively, you could find a cheaper 1440p/60Hz monitor that would perform as well as your pick.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, thanks for taking a moment. So, the way I am going about purchasing is allowed me to take a liitle bit of time and to take aesthetic's into count so yes, there are a few parts I know I could get cheaper (mobo/ram) but have specifically picked out for aesthetic's.

$100 case fans was a placeholder kind of, I no longer need 'em as I have decided to ditch the Fractal case in favor of a new one.

Regarding the PSU I was always under the impression that EVGA was well know for making "reputable" PSU's no? Not challenging your advise, just confused.

As far as 144hz is concerned, I thought about ether 1080p/144hz or 1440p/60hz. I could do 1440p/144hz but for how long? Besides 60 is all I require to be happy, 1440p/high-ultra/60fps is my end goal and I am hoping the 1070ti will serve nicely for a good few years.

I did not know about the Crucial SSD being pretty much the same but for less so I fixed that, thanx!

Thanks for your reply! :)

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

EVGA has some good lines, and some bad lines. The BQ series is not that great. They're likely not not firebombs, like some no-name generic PSUs, but could do much better with voltage regulation and capacitor quality.

When looking at PSUs, it's usually useful to narrow down first by the underlying OEM that handles the guts of the PSU. Most of EVGA's lower-end units are done by HEC or Andyson, which have mixed reputations. Their higher-end ones (G2, G3, P2, etc.) are usually done by Super Flower.

While you may find a gem done well by a less reputable OEM, you'll have an easier search if you start by narrowing down by OEMs with better track records, such as Super Flower or Seasonic. After that, you can look for rigorous reviews of individual models to confirm that your choice.

If you're fine with 60 FPS, go with that. You'll have cheaper options than the 1440p/144Hz possibilities.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

On the PSU's, thanks man :D It's this type of explaining I thrive for, this is why I love the idea behind Greg's Science Studio. The more I know. Thanks for taking the time to explain that cause I would have never known.

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

The G1+ series is still very new, and to my knowledge, information about the OEM is still unavailable, let alone rigorous reviews.

If you really want an EVGA PSU, the G2 and G3 lines are definitely worth considering.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor $319.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - TUF X470-PLUS GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $155.00 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $164.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $72.27 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $42.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case $88.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $81.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $118.35 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Deepcool - RF 120 (3 in 1) 56.5 CFM 120mm Fans $44.99 @ B&H
Monitor Acer - XG270HU 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor $319.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1409.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-20 18:49 EDT-0400
  • 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your reply. :)

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally I would go with an 8700k, if you're going to buy any unlocked CPU ad you're going to overclock you should buy a third part cooler. throwing in the extra money with an AIO cooler or nice air cooler will give you a lot of head room for overlocked overall making the system faster. Also, if you want a quieter machine go with an aftermarket cooler. (this is a bais review as I am all for intel) but I think you should definitely go for the i7 8700k and a nice after market cooler.

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

I did and in some ways (still am) debating about which to go for as I myself have been nothing but Intel up till now (pre-built's or not). Though I am not bias and it would take a lot of writing wrongs right on AMD's new re-fresh to make me forget about the Ryzen Gen1 hick-ups, and ill be damned if they did just that! Yes, in number charts and %'s 8700k all day and if I needed high (144hz) refresh rates too but I only need 60hz/1440p/gaming and a great work station for everything else.

Thanks for your input homie!

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, that's quit a bit of cash I could save though I am picking some parts (mobo/ram) for aesthetic reasons.

(Screen) By "cheapest 1440p" are you talking about the Lenovo L24P? Cause that is only "24. The last time I "just grabbed the cheapest" I ended up with this washed out TN panel I have now :( that can't happen again and while Im not trying to burn through cash on parts I do have wiggle room.

Thanks for the reply! :)

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Again, ty :D If they have at least a "27 i will totally look into it!

Thanks again!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube