add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1080/i5

Dtwenty
  • 24 months ago

So we have an i5 7500 ( 4c/4t. Boost 3.8 )

How much of a bottleneck do you think we would get below the 60fps mark @ 1080p ( for now! ) if we paired it with a gtx1080?

One piece at a time i am helping someone upgrade for 1440p ( in the end ) ( no rush ) they have the i5 already and we were gonna do the gpu then throw in a 7700 then finally the screen ( may take months ) so that's why I am wondering, ( again, already have cpu/mobo ) I know the 1070ti would be just fine but 1080's are about the same $ so i thought id ask.

Games are modern AAA titles and high/ultra settings @ 60fps @1080p would be the desired result for now. ...Or, would that result in a lot of games struggling due to the bottleneck? "OR.. would the bottleneck be so far over 60 they'll probably never notice it?

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

1070 Ti would be fine. I would not upgrade to 7700 though, try to replace the morherboard for a i5 8400.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, if we were considering a 1070ti is the 1080 "THAT" much better? Seems less a headache maybe to just throw in a 1070ti huh?

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Depends how comfortable one is with manual overclocking. The 1070ti usually ends up within a single digit of performance behind a 1080 when it is overclocked which usually results in 2-4 fps difference, basically nothing.

As for pairing an I5 with a 1080, it depends on titles and settings. 1080p isnt demanding and the 1080 will destroy that resolution. The I5 will bottleneck the 1080 at 1080p but only because it will push more frames than you can display anyways so it will not affect the visible performance you will get. For 1080p 60fps, the 1060 or RX 580 would be much better picks.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Games are modern AAA titles and high/ultra settings @ 60fps @1080p would be the desired result for now. ...Or, would that result in a lot of games struggling due to the bottleneck? "OR.. would the bottleneck be so far over 60 they'll probably never notice it?

Kinda overkill for 1080p on the graphics side.

CPU is roughly comparable to a overclocked R3 or R5 quad core on the AMD side or the current I3-8100 and plenty capable of 60fps gameplay.

Best bet is always look up some in game benchmarks with your CPU for a better idea.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube