add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should i replace my psu?

PhantomFlame0
  • 25 months ago

I currently have a Corsair HX850W in my pc atm. Im going to buy a gpu in like 3 months or so when the prices will settle. Gtx 1060 or maybe the new upcoming nvidia cards and im wondering if its time to replace the psu. Its like 8 years old at this point but its functioning with no problems so far. And back then it was one of the top quality psus you could buy so it has good efficiency and probably a very good protection circuit if for any reason it blows up on me. Is it worth it do you think to buy a new one?

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

That psu has a 5 or 7 year warranty so it could be a good time to maybe replace it.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

If there are no unusual sounds coming from you PSU, you don't need to change it just yet. The fan might be louder than it used to be, but unless there are whines or squeals that weren't there before, I don't see any reason for replacement just yet.

The HX Series is targeted towards advanced users for use in gaming, overclocking and other demanding environments. It should be a solid PSU. That being said, even unknown brands can have a lifespan of 7-10 years. Some PSUs have warranty of 12 years.

A new PSU won't give you anything new for the money, unless you are seeking something specific like fanless operation. I'd give your Corsair a couple more years of service.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Either what Enrico411 mentioned or...

Adding to Merlac's* first sentence:

If there are unusual sounds coming from you PSU

The fan works louder than it used to be, whines or squeals that weren't there before.

*The computer randomly shuts down, restarts or locks up.

*Overheating due a fan failure, HDD and fan failures even ram errors.

*Random BSODs and crashes.

Then YES, you should definitely consider to replace that PSU. ;)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube