add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

80+ vs. 80+ Bronze Efficiency

Nimboozi
  • 25 months ago

I am looking for a good PSU for my first ever build and I happened upon so many doubts and questions. Should I buy an 80+ rated or an 80+ Bronze rated PSU for my budget build? I honestly don't know if I should spend around ₹3000 on an 80+ Bronze PSU or even less on an 80+ PSU. Is buying an 80+ PSU risky or worth the lower price tag? Has 80+ become defunct/replaced by 80+ Bronze? Any answers will be helpful!

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 4 points

Efficiency has nothing to do with how good a PSU is and honestly should not even be factored in when choosing a PSU.

Long answer

What you should look for in a PSU: Good performance i.e ripple ideally ~30mv or less and less than ~1.5% voltage regulation on all rails. All jap caps on the primary side (all jap caps are ideal though) since even budget units like the Corsair CXM and CX have this. Ideally some form of passive mode although its just a nice to have thing. DC-DC since this is 2018 not 2010 and a group regulated PSU shouldn't even be a thing anymore. It should have OTP, OPP OVP, OCP, and SCP protections that work. And modular in some form although that is just a nice to have. That is just the basics.

What you should not look for is: Efficiency i.e gold, bronze, etc has nothing at all do with how good or bad a PSU is. Brand, it is really meaningless outside of stuff like Logsyis, Diablotek, etc who solely produce low quality dangerous PSU's, most brands have high end, low end, and stuff in between. Do not look at efficiency, unless you are going to be using the 24/7 it really won't matter outside of extremes i.e titanium vs. non 80+ rating or something like that. For gold vs. bronze the difference will usually be less than a dollar a month, is the cost of a taco from tacobell really worth worrying about? Also do not worry about the 50% efficiency BS that is going around, the difference in efficiency between like 30% load, 50%, and 70% is going to be literally a few pennies (due to the difference being ~2% or less and most recent gaming builds don't draw a ton of power as it is) if that saved a month which means it would take years or even decades to make up the cost difference between a 550W and 650W that have a $10 price gap.

If you want to learn more about PSU's in depth and actually be able to choose one and actually compare them here are some links that have nearly everything you could want to know listed in the order you should read them in.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-power-supplies/ (easy)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/why-99-percent-of-power-supply-reviews-are-wrong/ (easy)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-we-test-psu,4042.html#p1 (easy to medium)

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/blog/why-does-a-better-power-supply-mean-a-better-computer-experience (easy)

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2053-power-supply-voltage-ripple-and-relevance (easy)

http://www.overclock.net/t/761202/single-rail-vs-multi-rail-explained (easy)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193.html (hard)

https://www.techpowerup.com/articles//overclocking/psu/160/1 (hard)

For sites that you should use for reviews: Tomshardware, HardOCP, Techpowerup, Jonnyguru, and really any site that at least tests ripple, voltage regulation, and opens the PSU up to examine it.

https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=006175293167390918428:pda9ozdd3wq

I made this custom search engine to look for only PSU reviews from the proper sites.

Short answer: Just stick with the CX have in your part list.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, awesome answer.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Efficiency has nothing to do with how good a PSU is and honestly should not even be factored in when choosing a PSU.

For the most part yes. Though if one knows what they're doing, and looking for a high end power supply, limiting the power supplies to Gold or above will take out alot (not all though) of crap or lower end units. Because there are no silver/bronze or below power supplies that are very high quality with good value.

Ideally some form of passive mode although its just a nice to have thing

Sometimes it isn't. If the PSU load is right where the margin for the passive mode is, the PSU fan may go on, off, on, off etc. Or if it is on the high end of the passive mode but still within, the PSU could overheat.

What is better is a high quality fan, with a good motor/bearing and low RPM fan curve (below 600 but not 0), while remaining at a suitable temperature. If silence is a concern anyways. For example the Bitfenix Whisper M or Be quiet power supplies.

The rest I mostly agree with.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Damn, that's a lot of advice! Thank you so much!

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

The cx450W in your list is a good one so if you can go with that one.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

My Part List by the way:

PCPartPicker part list / [Price breakdown by merchant]https://in.pcpartpicker.com/list/zm77TB/by_merchant/)

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ₹9014.99 @ Amazon India
Motherboard Asus - PRIME A320M-K Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ₹4780.00 @ Amazon India
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ₹6225.00 @ Amazon India
Storage Toshiba - P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ₹3343.20 @ Amazon India
Case Rosewill - SCM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ₹1889.30 @ Amazon India
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ₹3950.00 @ Amazon India
Optical Drive Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ₹800.00 @ Amazon India
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ₹5769.00 @ Amazon India
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link - TL-WN727N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ₹449.00 @ Amazon India
Monitor AOC - E970SWN 18.5" 1366x768 60Hz Monitor ₹4750.00 @ Amazon India
Keyboard AmazonBasics - KU-0833 +MSU0939 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ₹799.00 @ Amazon India
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total ₹41769.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-25 15:48 IST+0530
  • 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything looks good, including PSU. I would however try to get 2666 Mhz RAM and an SSD also though. And a B350 motherboard.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, believe me, I would MUCH rather do just that, but my budget simply isn't flexible enough. Which is another way of saying my parents are the funders for my first ever build. But if you can suggest parts with those specs for about the same price, it would be much appreciated!

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I made it fit. You will notice however there is no windows. So what a I advise you to do is install windows regularly, skip the access code little bit and it will be useable as normal, just without a few windows 10 exclusive features and personalization features. The other option would be to run Linux.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ₹9013.00 @ Amazon India
Motherboard *Asus - PRIME B350M-E Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ₹4519.17 @ Amazon India
Memory *Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ₹7231.09 @ Amazon India
Storage *Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ₹2938.00 @ Amazon India
Storage Toshiba - P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ₹3321.06 @ Amazon India
Case Rosewill - SCM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ₹1876.79 @ Amazon India
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ₹3950.00 @ Amazon India
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link - TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ₹635.00 @ Amazon India
Monitor *BenQ - GW2270H 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ₹8100.00 @ Amazon India
Keyboard AmazonBasics - KU-0833 +MSU0939 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ₹799.00 @ Amazon India
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total ₹42383.11
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-26 17:37 IST+0530
  • 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Is buying an 80+ PSU risky or worth the lower price tag?

80+ is an efficiency rating, not an indicator of how good a PSU is. You could have a great 80+ PSU and a terrible 80+ Gold PSU, it all depends on the PSU itself.

Has 80+ become defunct/replaced by 80+ Bronze?

Technically no but there aren't a lot of new 80+ PSUs anymore, most are at least 80+ Bronze.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

If a PSU is qualitative or not, depends from the internals and not from the efficiency certification level.

The one you have chosen will do a great job with the above build.

You should consider the Warning message of that build though...

Warning: These parts have potential issues/incompatibilities. (See details below.)

• Some AMD A320 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Raven Ridge CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
  • 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the warning, but it's all good. Theres a guy who used it with an AMD Ryzen 2200G and he said it worked right out of the box. So no worries!

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh! OK then. ;)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube