add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wattage Estimation

JCMsergox
  • 25 months ago

I just wrapped up Mother War, but here I am with another project... Sort of. Not as big this time. I have a Dell Opltiplex 990 that I want to turn into a little gaming box to run games like Fortnite, Unturned, TF2, and CSGO at good settings and resolution. Pretty respectable specs as is. Sandy Bridge i5 2500, 4GB Ram, 1TB hard drive, etc. My plan is to toss another 4GB of Ram and a GeForce GT 1030 into the build and call it good. My issue is the power supply. I don't really want to upgrade this machine more than I have to, but I'm worried about the PSU not supplying sufficient wattage to the machine. When I plug equivalent parts into a PCPP list, the estimated TDP comes to 243W on a 265W PSU. I've been told that PCPP far overestimates the wattage, but I just want to make sure that this will be enough?

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

243W is probably when everything is at 100% load at the same time. So even in gaming that will almost never happen. So personally i believe you will be fine.

Looking a power consumptions the gt 1030 consumes 50W at absolute max torture test and the i5 2500k at stock (with mobo and RAM) according to a review of 2011 125W-130W.

So again i think you will be fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube