add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Tips for better internet security?

RainOfPain125

19 months ago

I'm an completely noob when it comes to protecting my home-hosted servers and all that (or so I assume)

I'm not using any software-level firewalls besides windows firewall. I tried one and it simply started cutting off my server ports and kicked all the players on my servers.

Someone that was critiquing my security was talking about hardware firewalls and other things I've never heard of before. Do I actually need that kind of stuff to keep my server data protected and my internet connection up and running? Cuz I'm one broke $#@ person and I host out of my own pocket for the community, and the less I have to pay the better.

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

What are your servers hosting? Are they public or private? (can you access them from work/school/etc)

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Public game servers.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are concerned with people accessing your personal network through your game server, look into putting your server in the DMZ and use a software firewall to manage port access..

Or you can set up port forwarding for the game through the router..

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

DMZ? Whats that? Software firewalls? Any suggestions?

Of course I've already portforwarded ports for the server through my router...

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're already forwarding the ports for the game and nothing else, it's probably fine..

Network security is like a lock box. If you put a simple lock in it, most people will leave it alone but if somebody wants to get into it, they will.. So for you, you need to decide how many people access it.. Is it just friends or a small community? Probably fine.. Is it hundreds or thousands of strangers? Might want to put a stronger lock on that box.. But at the end of the day, if somebody wants something bad enough, they will get it..

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

So just having the necessary ports and none other are the only good protection? What about DoS / DDoS attacks? I've heard you could easily pay 5 bucks for a gigabit attack against someone.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube