add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Power Supply from a Thrift Store - How Bad Can This Be?

JCMsergox
  • 25 months ago

As the title suggests, I picked up a power supply from a thrift store. It says it's 430w on the side, but the sticker says the supply has been rated at 500w. Sketchy much?

There's no way I'm putting this in my main rig, rather in an Optiplex project I'm refurbishing. I'm hoping I'll be able to run a GTX 950 or 960 off of it.

Found the unit; https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817165023

I'll post an update later today.

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

Yikes.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya... I would not try to run anything with a discreet GPU off of that box... I hope the store will let you take it back.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

The store wont accept a return. It was only $5. :)

So, anything above ~200w will just melt the PSU?

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

I did not read the whole thing in detail, Within the first 100 words of that thread there was so much stuff that said stay away I stopped there. Just guessing that its way over rated, will de-rate hard over 30c, and is likely missing filter caps and other power quality components. It may also be missing protection circuits, and be using overly thin wires... I would worry less about it melting, and more about the parts it was connected to when it goes.

Short version... don't connect that thing to any parts you want to see again, and don't do it in your house. Fire insurance exists for a reason, but that thing just seems like tempting fate.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I would be very afraid to use it to power anything since the ripple is definitely well out of spec. Its going to fry whatever you attach to it.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > Off Topic" to "Hardware > Power Supplies".

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I would use it at decoration, tbh. The thing is pretty bad.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Its ugly af.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, probably so lol. For me personally, I keep all PC components, no matter how ugly. I have like, three OEM PSUs on my shelf :P.

[comment deleted]
  • 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I read some reviews and horror stories about this and other bad PSUs. It is now sitting in the bottom of my Photography Teacher's trash can.

Ill stick with the Dell PSU. It's not great, but it works. At least with that I know I can have a low-tdp GPU like a GTX 1050 and it'll be fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube