add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Surge Protector Info?

H4X0R46
  • 26 months ago

Hey all! So I had my power supply blow out unfortunately. I sent it in for RMA, just got lucky with it still being under warranty. Well, I want to make sure my new one that's coming has a lower chance of blowing out so I decided to get a surge protector. I know very little about them only knowing that the higher the joule rating, the more protection it offers.

I have an EVGA 750w GQ and just need suggestions on a good strong surge protector to do the job, any info is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 3 points

Link: wirecutter

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I came here to recommend the Tripp Lite they picked as #1

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

A surge protector will protect from outside power surges. If your PSU blew, it’s because something in it was faulty. The GQ isn’t a bad unit, so more likely than not it was just a fluke. Still, buying a good surge protector, in my opinion, is essential for PCs. Especially powerful ones.

Here is a good one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017VXT1E4/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1523085790&sr=1-12&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you both! Is that a good joule rating for my PC? I'm a noob with these. I know some protectors boast in the 4000s and such, much more expensive though.

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

APC makes great surge protectors.

Above 2000 Joules is sufficient for any home computer. ;)

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Quoted from my electricity supplier website

Surge protectors safeguard appliances and wiring from surges and spikes. Talk to your electrical store or licensed electrical contractor about the best way to protect your appliances.

There are three different options for surge protection:

Portable.

Portable surge protectors such as surge protection powerboards plug into a power point and provide protection for those appliances plugged into them. If you choose this option, you should consider purchasing a surge protection powerboard that has telephone protection included. Some portable surge protectors can be used only once and may need to be replaced after a surge has occurred.

Power point.

Power point surge protectors must be installed by a licensed electrical contractor and replace a regular power point to provide specific protection for key areas in your home or business - for example for computers or phone/fax machines.

Main switchboard.

A surge protector can be installed at your main switchboard by a licensed electrical contractor. Newer types are fitted with replaceable models that allow for quick replacement without the need for disconnecting the power. These modules have an indicator which shows when overload has occurred and a new module should be installed. If the spent modules are not replaced, the appliances will still operate but they will not be protected from damage if another surge should occur.

There are two that I am aware of that go into your main switchboard of your home, one is for surges and the other is for lightning. Also you should have surge protected power-boards with appropriate protections builtin that would circumvent other protections, such as phone line and even television aerials. Surge power boards aren't backwards protected so lightning can come down the T.V. antenna through the T.V. and out to the rest of the house, unless you have the aerial running through the appropriate protection instead of straight to your T.V. The same applies to your Modem to your computer. Also this applies to "Ethernet over Power" if you use it.

A possible example is the 6 Outlet Surge Protected Power-board with Telecoms and TV Surge Protection - $20,000 Connected System Warranty PT6012

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube