add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Divorce
  • 26 months ago

the build> https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wXVyXP

basically i7 8700k /w 1080ti which adds up to (474) wats in total

will a power supply of 550 Wats be enough for a 474 wat build or is it ok to go for the higher one which is the 600 wat power supply? you know, just incase i want to maybe slightly OC someday? i have no idea if my PC will blow up if i use a power supply that is too high, like a 600 wat supply.

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 3 points

If you make Gaming PC build some of hardware you will not change every year like GPU , so PSU you will use it for long time exemple 5 years . So you need to chose power supply that will hundle your futur upgrades and you must always give more 50 Wats on your system now and also give more for OC . So i advice you to get 650 Wats or 750 Wats deppending on prices.

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

ahhh that makes sense, thank you!

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

Try to get good quality PSU because it's the heart of Gaming PC because it's deliver the electricity to all hardwars so if can protect all your hardwars or have risk . So don't try save money and get cheap one . For me i chose Corsair RM has good power effeciency and good protection and featurs and silence .

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

sounds good! i was thinking of getting a supply by corsair aswel, though i dont care how noisy it is but ill try to find one that is of quality, i was just paying atention to the wats but i guess quality is important too. Cheers!

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

It all depends on one thing. Are you and Optimist or a Pessimist.

To run a PSU at Max efficiency you want some give.

If you are an Optimist you'll get something that's 20% more than the maximum estimated wattage. So in your build's case that's something around 550-600 watts. You want that wiggle room in-case you upgrade something but for me that's still to tight. I'm not an Optimist and I reuse my PSU if they are decent.

If you are a Pessimist you assume all parts are junk and get something 50% more powerful than you'll need. In your build's case that's something around 700-750 watts. You'll be able to reuse it for a couple of builds.

I usually go for 30-40% more than what I need since PSU's have gotten much better than when I started building. And power drain is so much lower than back in the day. So in your build that would be somewhere in between 600-650. This is a good compromise since it gives a lot of wiggle room for upgrades and reuse.

With that said now a days you can get a decent Seasonic 750 watt 80+Gold Semi Modular for $78, that's $3 more than it's 650 watt cousin.

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

650-750W, Corsair RMx series, EVGA SuperNova G2 or G3, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold, Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB Gold (if you want RGB), all with 10-12 years of warranty. Choose the cheapest one

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

That is the maximum estimated wattage. Innaccurate. Under a gaming load even with overclocking your build would stay under 350w, 400w at max. So either 550w or 600w is more than enough wattage. What you want to look for is their electrical performance and build quality.

i have no idea if my PC will blow up

No, your PC won't blow up if your PSU has a higher capacity than what is needed. Because the PSU will only deliver what is needed. The power rating is their maximum they are capable of delivering.

And if the wattage is not enough, a quality power supply with functioning protections should safely shut down before and any damage is caused.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, i didnt know they had saftey features, well thats a realief, thank you very much! ill look for a quality supply perhaps from evga or corsair.

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

Brand means nothing. Look for model.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

This is situational answer I was looking for. I'm building a system where pcp is claiming it needs 430 watts at maximum range. So 550-600w should be sufficient considering most usage won't be at maximum. I will however plan to get a 650w PSU in future to give it more room. Is that logic proper?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

550w will be fine for the future. For the past four years, NVIDIA's most powerful GPU for each generation remain at 250w TDP. If anything GPUs in the future will become more efficient. And hard drives use ~10w at a load, so even adding a few more hard drives would only draw ~30w more power when they're all at load.

Looking at your recently made topic, your current list will consume ~280w at a gaming load. A 550w unit is perfectly acceptable. Just make sure to choose a quality power supply.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm looking at moving to a Z370+8600k from my current 7700k. And that's my concern of the PSU. Also looks like I might be acquiring a X62 Kraken. Does your numbers still apply?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube