add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

might have downloaded a trojan.

syg101

17 months ago

I downloaded techutilities to fix an error code I was getting, but now i'm concerned as it showed that I had over 1000 issues in the registry. I know that allowing it into the registry is a bad idea, but I was really getting fed up with these problems. Do any of you know if it's a scam? if so, how should I go about completely removing it? And another thing: What is the best way to find and fix errors in my PC?

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

1943?

• 17 months ago
  • 3 points

Lol, predates the microprocessor a bit.

• 17 months ago
  • 8 points

That's how you get an edge on the competition. Make a virus detecting program before, microprocessors, before the end of WW2, before man first walked on the moon, before the internet, before the first virus that is spread over the internet was even created. You will have an established product before it is even needed. Genius marketing.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I was trying to format a USB drive with the media creation tool, downloaded from microsoft. I got an error code, put it in google, and went to the arror wiki, which showed a link for a tool to fix broken system errors. that tool was this program.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Those links are usually ads, and the tools linked are generally scams at best. If you can uninstall that, do so. Then download a scanning tool (or two) like Malwarebytes or Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and run scans.

Registry cleaning generally isn't necessary to begin with. Piriform's CCleaner is a decent enough tool though.

If you think there is some kind of error on your system, step one is to open a command prompt as admin and then use the "sfc /scannow" command. That will have the system file checker run a scan. Beyond that it depends on the error you were getting.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I have malwarebytes, it didn't detect anything after two full scans. I think there might be an error with my graphics drivers, but I can't find where to update them: Everytime i get a notification, or plug in any sort of drive, the screen inverts colors for a moment and then turns back.

Edit: here's my part list: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $213.51 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Deepcool - CAPTAIN360EX 229.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $119.00 @ B&H
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver - Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic 1.75g Thermal Paste $3.99 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $199.89 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $181.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Kingston - SSDNow UV400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card -
Case Thermaltake - Core P3 Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower Case -
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply -
Case Fan Thermaltake - Riing 12 LED Red 40.6 CFM 120mm Fan $11.18 @ OutletPC
Monitor Samsung - T24C550ND 23.6" 1920x1080 Monitor -
Monitor Asus - MG248Q 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor $264.99 @ Newegg Marketplace
Keyboard Corsair - K70 LUX RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard $149.72 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech - G602 Wireless Optical Mouse $38.00 @ Amazon
Headphones Corsair - VOID 7.1 Channel Headset $99.99 @ Best Buy
Other Thermaltake RIING 120mm Red LED Ultra Quiet High Airflow Computer Case Fan, Twin Pack CL-F047-PL12RE-A $29.99 @ Amazon
Other Vipamz Extended Xxxl Gaming Mouse Pad - 36"x12"x0.12" Dimension - Portable with Extended XXL Size - Non-slip Rubber Base - Special Treated Textured Weave with Precision Control (red) $29.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1427.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-06 11:45 EST-0500

Note: The hard drive was taken from my dad's old work computer. I used it because I just needed a hard drive and hadn't bought one of my one. It had a copy of windows 7 but hadn't been used for years. I tried to delete the files on the hard drive, but it didn't let me. I'll re-format it tonight to get those files out, might do something.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

not sure if this is Malwarebytes but I remember something had a "chameleon" feature, did you try that?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

You could still try another scanning tool just in case. Comodo's is a bit technical but thorough as well.

You can check the driver by opening up Device Manager or just go ahead and install the driver from the manufacturer or the generic driver from Nvidia.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube