add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is using Windows Defender alone enough?...

PCDave77

17 months ago

I was on another PC tech forum, and I was asking about several different anti-virus programs. All I basically got back was "use Windows Defender". People are saying that it's good enough, and that they've never had any problems. But from what I've read, Windows Defender isn't good enough to protect a PC from all the virus threats out there.

Any thoughts??

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 4 points

Anti-Virus software is a reactive solution to a problem that shouldn't happen in the first place if the computer is properly maintained and configured for its intended use, and use properly (not abused) by its users. User behavior is a far bigger issue than choice of AV.

I prefer Windows Defender because it can be configured to do its job without routine popups, nannies, reminders, etc. If you use a free 3rd party AV, it will all the time be trying to install toolbars or browsers and asking you to pay for it. If you pay for an AV, it'll prompt you to upgrade to a better solution, email you with reminds to renew, blah blah no time for all that crap.

Lots of modern AWD cars have reactive traction solutions. They require a wheel lose traction before the system engages another axle and/or begins applying the brake to the spinning tire. This is a piss poor solution to traction as it requires giving up traction to engage the system designed to find more useful traction. A pro-active solution, would be to engage true 4WD before the tires spin, or even a step further, engage lockers before tires slip, or get out and chain up.

If you're depending on an AV to solve virus problems, that's a reactive solution more apt to get you stuck someday.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I really don't know much about what I'm talking about, so take everything I say with a few hundred grains of salt.

So far, over the last 3 weeks I've been using WD on my new PC (Just built it :D) I haven't had any problems, the main thing you have to do is be careful, the best anti-virus is a piece of hardware you connect between the keyboard and floor, and there aren't any pieces of software that will protect against all threats, just most, you need both good browsing habits, and an anti-virus.

I keep Malwarebytes installed on my PC, along with CCleaner, I've found that Malwarebytes will detect most things. One day I got some bad adware on my old PC, and malware bytes or AVG wouldn't detect it even, so I had to use CCleaner's uninstall tool to remove it, I don't know why.

So far, I've had very few virus problems, with my new PC, or my old, because I've just been very careful.

A website I've seen people recommend a few times, is VirusTotal, it will scan URLs that are suspicious, I've seen the Malwarebytes team use it in their blog.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Problem with Malwarebytes is it is more of an addon to another anti-virus program. Many people will pair it will Trend Micro, Norton, McAfee, Avast, Sophos, BitDefender. Emsisoft is one of the few programs out there that has both an AV/AM scanner as one program.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Given that most malware these days are not viruses, most companies already have antimalware capabilities. I run a second scanner because using different tools reduces the likelihood of something slipping through.

On a side note the Emsisoft Emergency Kit is pretty nice. I like portable programs.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, as long as you don’t download stuff or anything sketchy. Malwarebytes free also helps if you actually get a virus. I got one on my PC and was too lazy to find and remove it so I just reinstalled windows on an SSD.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows Defender is a basic protection, but the most important factor is getting a good anti-virus/malware that will protect you. I would recommend Emsisoft or Bitdefender myself. Try and stay away from Norton, McAfee, Avast as they have had problems with bloatware & privacy issues.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows Defender is as good and other anti-virus programs out there. It is more then basic protection.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/april-2017/microsoft-windows-defender-4.10-171447/

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Okay I stand corrected.

For a short while, Microsoft’s antivirus fell behind the others when it came to comparative antivirus software tests—way behind. It was bad enough that we recommended something else, but it’s since bounced back, and now provides very good protection.

So in short, yes: Windows Defender is good enough (as long as you couple it with a good anti-malware program, as we mentioned above—more on that in a minute).

Looks like Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Malwarebytes are both recommended to pair with it.

• 17 months ago
  • 0 points

+1

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

For me - definitely! I'm just using well known soft and web pages. If you need smth especially then i can recomend Avast Pro.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

No AV solution is perfect nor will it make up for anything a user could potentially throw at it. Windows Defender has a bad reputation stemming from previous iterations that were about as effective as a wet facial tissue stopping a ball bearing launched out of slingshot. Windows Defender was one of Microsoft's priorities when designing Windows 10, and they have made great strides in making it a competent AV. While it isn't the most effective, it isn't hard on the system nor the worst when it comes to protection now.

I personally use Kaspersky and Bitdefender. There are also other effective solutions out there if you don't like either of those.

Whether you use Windows Defender or a third party AV, there are still good habits (such as not opening weird attachments or clicking on strange links) that are necessary to keeping clean of malware. It is also a good idea to keep a scanning tool like Malwarebytes' free one as well and run scans sometimes.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube