add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need a solution to internet.

OfMiceAndRice

21 months ago

So my gf lives in like a duplex house. They live on the bottom part while other family members live up top. They have verizion on top, and Comcast/ verizion said because it's all under one address, we can not get anything for the bottom. I've tried a wifi range extended but it didn't seem To work well. Every day we'd be up top resetting their router just for the extender to work. I'm looking for a Solution so I can get on the internet on my ps4(and phone but not worried about that) not worried so much about playing games via wifi(although if that's a solution that'd b perfect) I'd just be happy to download updates and such. I've thought about setting up a Hotspot with my phone but I'd have to check how much data downloading a big update onto a ps4 would be as I'm not sure what my Hotspot limit is on my phone. If anybody has any solution that'd b fantastic. Thanks in advance

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Is running a wire through the floor to a wireless access point in the basement an option? (or to a switch so you can have some hardwired things too)

if thats not an option I'd say to look into the ethernet over powerline options to get you the hardline to the basement so you can setup a switch and/or access point for you down there.

edit: also, are there other ISPs in the area that you could use for the basement since comcast/verizon won't do a 2nd connection?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Running wire through floor is a no go. Trying not to drill or do much bc it's not my home haha. Not a clue what ur talking about with ethernet over powerline, but I'll look into it. And tbh besides Comcast and verizion I'm not even sure of what other isp 'ers exist(although I can look it up) figured if they didn't do it, it was just a thing isp didn't do was 2 connections was hoping their was just something I'd b able to like plug into an outlet that wasn't a range extender or something lol

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

something like this is what I was mentioning. https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Powerline-TPL-421E-Beamforming-TPL-421E2K/dp/B00UVN4318/ref=pd_cp_147_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00UVN4318&pd_rd_r=TY5S9YJK1C7K626W608H&pd_rd_w=DI2IE&pd_rd_wg=wmY4A&psc=1&refRID=TY5S9YJK1C7K626W608H

That should get you an ethernet connection to the basement and then I'm assuming doing whatever other networking from there would be easier.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! So all I have to do is plug an ethernet cable from their router too the port on one of the devices, then plug my ps4 into the other? That sounds simple enough if that's all I'd have to do

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Ideally yes. I think there may or may not be some considerations for which circuits you plug them into. (so they're on the same phase) But I thought you might not need to worry about that part with the newer models.

so, definitely still do some reading up on the topic before buying. I just know enough about it at the moment to be dangerous. lol

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha yea defitnally will do some reading up thanks for all the help!

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

You could always go to the post office and get the address split, of ask the house owner to do it.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Attempting to not involve the house owner because he's like a 80 yr old guy, and I'm like the only one that does anything on the internet. They could care less if internet is there or not (hense y it's not there now lol) and the gf has unlimited data so she don't care much either

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube