add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Two partitions on one SSD

oo2k15

72 months ago

So the SSD that I'm going to buy is ADATA Premiere Pro SP900 128GB ssd. Is on sale for $82!

Mainly I'll be using this as my boot drive and will be installing some programs.

Questions: So I wanted to make 2 partitions 1 for purely OS and nothing else, 2nd partitions would be programs like Office, photoshop, Corel draw, pinnacle, Sony Vegas, editing software etc...

One thing to note is that a 128gb has roughly 119gb of usable space. So I already lost 9gb right at the start.

I mainly wanted to make 2 partitions because I like to keep OS separate from other programs. Plus it make backup easier to manage incase if I decided to reinstall the OS. I'll also be using 3tb hdd as my secondary storage.

So my question is how much space do I need to give for the 1st partition with my OS in it? Is it worth doing partitioning considering is only 119gb to work with? Does it make any difference at all? Should I just buy higher ssd like 240gb? But i already got 3tb hdd.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You can install Windows 7 fairly comfortably on a 60Gb SSD. Heck, you CAN do it on a 32Gb drive, but it will start to get cramped fast, leading to major system issues that take quite a bit of technical savvy to get over. I don't recommend 32Gb drives for OS installs for that reason.

Go ahead and partition! I plan on doing the same thing: 110gb drive partitioned to 45gb for SteamOS and 65 for Win7 Pro 64 bit.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends, When I was installing windows 7 on my custom build, windows could not find my ssd to upload Windows 7 onto it. Eventually I needed To install it on a regular hard drive.

Just keep that in mind because allot of people have this problem, but this may not apply to you!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I mainly wanted to make 2 partitions because I like to keep OS separate from other programs. Plus it make backup easier to manage incase if I decided to reinstall the OS... Is it worth doing partitioning considering is only 119gb to work with?

• No. Since software installation requires writing to the system partition, you would still need to re-install software after recovering the OS.
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube