add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Stupid question

Dtwenty
  • 26 months ago

Are ultra wide monitors (21:9) more GPU demanding then 16:9?

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

No.

The physical proportion of the display has nothing to do with GPU performance. Nor does physical size (number of inches).

What you should consider is the number of pixels the GPU should render, that is, the product of the resolution.

For instance:

• A 2560 x 1080 (21:9) display has 2,764,800 pixels to display.
  • A 3440 x 1440 (21:9) display has 4,953,600 pixels to display.
  • A 3840 x 2160 (16:9) display has 8,294,400 pixels to display.

Of course, if the two resolution only differs in width, the height is the same (e.g. 3440 x 1440 vs 2560 x 1440) then the width decides, which is more demanding. But in general terms, look at always the resolution.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Damn... I like science too and ty for responding, How about this, a GTX 1060 6gb for a 29" ultra wide 2560 x 1080 upgrade (60htz) So, I should not notice GPU heavy games running a bit less? (fps) Thank you! :)

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I've got a 2560 x 1440 monitor @ 144 Hz with a GTX 970. The GTX 1060 is slightly better and your monitor has lower resolution and refresh rate than mine.

I can run my games perfectly fine. You should be good too. :)

If you really want to hang onto your GPU and prolong upgrade a year or two, you could probably get the GTX 1070 (or GTX 1070 Ti), but that would be most probably overkill for your current monitor and really just for delaying upgrades in the future.

With GPU prices high as they are these days, I'd probably stick with the GTX 1060 6 GB version.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, I'm gonna wait a year or two for volta and then get me a beefy card and high end screen, reason I need one now is cause my current one is trash but went I buy said high end screen this new one will still be used, sounds like my fps will stay the same then, its all I was trying to find out.

Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube