add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

8600k or 8700

Dtwenty
  • 26 months ago

Going back and forth but basically it's mostly for gaming however, I would really like to get into video editing, nothing work intensive just a new hobby making and editing videos but also to take my gaming and hobby as far into the future as I can, not sure if I will get into streaming yet. I don't wanna feel like I need to upgrade in 2 or 3 yrs, if money would allow it id just shoot straight for the sun (say **** the stars) and grab an 8700k but its too much $$. 8700 or 8600k?

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're not going to stream and just video edit and play games get the 8600k and overclock it , if you're going to stream and want more headroom in future get the i7 8700 ( some games like battlefield1 like more threads)

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, ty :)

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

For video editing you can't do wrong with either of those two CPUs.

The 8600K can be overclocked, but the 8700 has double the threads. It's ~90 bucks cheaper, and consumes less.

Also it does not need any special cooler to keep it cool.

Could easily handle video editing up to 4K.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I know the 8700 comes with a cpu fan but you don't think it would be a good idea to get a better one, also I keep hearing about boosting all core to 4.4 on the non-k, is that feature only on some boards?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I keep hearing about boosting all core to 4.4 on the non-k, is that feature only on some boards?

That's a feature of the CPU.

Will work with any board.

The i7-8700 can reach speeds from 4.3GHz up to 4.6GHz with TB depending the cores that are involved.

I know the 8700 comes with a CPU fan but you don't think it would be a good idea to get a better one

Yeah, get this one below.

https://www.outletpc.com/gl6714-cryorig-m9i-singel-tower-heatsink-for-intel.html

It's cheap and will do a great job. ;)

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok then thanks, I had an H7 to go with it. In theory it seems the 8700 would give more over a longer period then OCing the i5. Ty

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, for keeping the cost down as possible, and with double the threads, IMHO the i7-8700 offers a huge value for that money. ;)

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Anything you would change? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MjDJCy Bout a year after Volta is out ill retire my 1060 and 1080p/60hz for a much beefier card/screen.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

All core can go up to 4.7Ghz when using 102.3 as BLK. A normal size case will handle the heat easily. I am using it in my node202.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

What board may I ask did you go with for your 8700? Also, whats a node202? srry D:

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I see, small form. Thanks for that and nice build!

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

PS, 8700k is cheaper than 8700 in the UK here currently :)

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, U.S here :(

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube