add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Dtwenty
  • 29 months ago

Hi, I'm still learning about PC building and was criticized on Steam about a build I threw together and was trying to figure something out, I see a lot of you guys on this site post builds and one thing I never see is people freaking out about mobo/cpu's. Basically I posted a build which featured a cheaper z370 (6 power phase I think) w/ an 8600k and had two people calling me out stating that I should never pair a CPU like that with such a cheap board yet I see a lot of this site community pair it all the time, so what the hell is Power Phase and am I wrong to pair an 8600k w/ say, an MSI z370 A PRO or Gaming Plus?

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Well that's not easily to answer.

Different board manufacturers use different components on their boards, different VRMs, and theoretically more phases if done correctly would give a more stable overclock (without V-drops) on high CPU overclock speeds.

The best you can do, is to read some reviews from the boards in question above, so you can get an idea how much you can push that board.

Of course keep in mind, an successful overclock, especially on high region frequencies, depends mostly from the silicon chip in question the CPU cooler to keep the temps down, so you can push it even further and yes a good power delivery system would help too an that matter, but that doesn't mean you can only overclock with some boards and not with some others. ;)

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for that. :)

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

If you don't plan on overclocking it debatably should handle it.

If you do I would expect poor to negative clock speeds because even though it's a "Z370" it isn't intended as an overclocking motherboard.

Power phase handle and condition power to the Vcore and SOC which is why an honest look at it would show it's a 3+3 or 4+2 phase.

First number shows how many phases provided power to the actual cores, the second to the rest of the CPU component.

Provided the phases are of the same quality and the controller is able to run them correctly.

More phases there are the smoother power is delivered when needed because you generally take smaller jumps in power increase.

Also the more phases the cooler they run.

Also remember the harder you push anything the quicker it fails.

That's not getting into too much details but gives a basic idea.

Something like the Pro

You have low phase count so it will have lower power quality and lower capacity well running hotter. That means you are not going to get as far overclocking and burn out components faster since they are working harder.

It's really meant more for a professional use where overclocking is bad since you introduced random instability which can cost you time and money as well as lost workload with a crash, But you want to benefit from better platform features over say a B or H series board.

These are about as cheap as I would go for a 8600K giving current prices and looking at them, I would pull the I/O covers if those keep air away from the heatsinks so they don't dissipate heat, direct airflow over the power delivery to help keep them cool, and focus on moving as much air through the case as possible so closed off silent cases are going to cause problems.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/HLvZxr,FMJkcf,39hj4D,Fr2rxr/

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks for the response, Would the Extreme4 from Asrock be a better pick if I wanted to push an 8600k to 5ghz assuming I have proper cooling, silicon lottery ect?

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Much better that or the Gaming K6 it is based off of really depends which you can get cheaper.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Would those cheaper z370's I asked about earlier work for the non-k version of the 8700? I would still be able to OC the GPU at least yes or no? Thanks again.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Would those cheaper z370's I asked about earlier work for the non-k version of the 8700?

Yup.

I would still be able to OC the GPU at least yes or no?

Yup.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube