add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dual Booting OS help

killsburydouboy

72 months ago

In my current system I have an 120gb SSD and a 3tb HDD. I was wondering if I could partition part of my 3tb HDD and use the new partition to boot a second operating system like linux for example. Can I still do it, I've had the system for about a year now but I've only used like 80GB of the 3tb hard drive. Any help will be appreciate on this. Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Is it possible? Yes.
  • Decide as to whether you intend to select OS via BIOS/CMOS menu or use a OS selector/loader via software.
  • Exact process will obviously depend on the two OS you intend to use.
  • Understand the process thoroughly if you intend to dabble in Linux, depending on distro, since one wrong click can render your system useless during the installation process.
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright thanks. I want to be able to select the OS I want when I first boot up the system. Would that be BIOS/CMOS or will I need a separate software for that?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Selecting via the BIOS/CMOS menu requires that you enter the BIOS/CMOS menu every time you want to change the OS and manually select the SSD (holding the current OS) or 3TB hard drive (containing your second OS) as the first boot device.
  • If you wish to boot the computer and have software display the choice of the two OS, that method, as I stated before, depends on the two OS. You will need to check to see if desired operating systems supports multi-boot, provides it's own boot loader, requires a third party boot loader and/or requires a particular installation order... Bottom line: Read the instructions/requirements... of the operating system(s) in question.
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright thanks for the information. I am going to do some research into this now.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

Yeah, but I have no idea why you would want to dual boot linux. I tried ubuntu myself, found no advantages over windows, and uninstalled it.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I was just using Linux as an example. I was just making sure it was possible.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube