add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will any cable brand work with the superNOVA g2?

BuilderPerson

23 months ago

I just bought an rx 580 and I realized a needed an 8 pin pci-e cable, which I left in the box which is long gone.

Will any 8 pin pci-e cable work with this (supernova g2 550w) psu or will I have to buy an EVGA one?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

No and no. Not any cable will work and not any Evga cable will work, that is how you end up frying some parts. You will need a cable specifically for the G2/G3/T2/P2. You will want to go to cable mod or another similar site and order a single 8 pin PCI-E cable for the G2 which will cost like $20.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the website name! Amazon and Newegg only had whole kits for $80..

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there a US alternative for cable mod? The shipping price is huge ($20 for 1 cable)

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

https://www.ensourced.net/evga-type-one-power-supply-cables/

But his cables cost like $28 and shipping likely isn't free. This isn't going to be a cheap mistake to fix.

You could always make your own but assuming you have none of the required equipment that will cost you like $50 or so.

You could always try contacting EVGA and ask for a new cable.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Different cables won't work unless they have the same pin out at the end that connect at the PSU so grabbing that extra pci-e cable you have from 5 years from some unknown PSU is a very bad idea since you could end up sending voltage to the wrong place and end up with a toasty card.

Extensions are universal and will work with any cable since the part plugs into the gpu or whatever is based on a universal standard.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube