add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help choosing a psu

daniel001

24 months ago

I need help choosing one I am getting offered a EVGA Supernova g2 1000wat for $70 butIve heard that it wont run on my pc ?? Please help https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tBV7cc

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

You can get the EVGA G2 1000w for $70 :O Dammm that is a bargain if its in fully functional form.

The PSU would work absolutely fine with your PC build. It is overkill of course for your part list and you will rarely use more then 200 watts (or 20%) of its capacity, but the unit will work fine with your part list.

Only thing to confirm would be the length at 20cm would fit in the bottom of that case though it should be fine.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Well one of my friends is selling his brand new still has the clear plastic wrap and yeah I also want it to be able to upgrade my rig later on down the road if I wanted to.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

for $70 you can't get better then a G2 1000W. Even thos its overkill for your system it doesn't matter.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Running for an extended period of time in the lower wattage range will hurt efficiency to an extent. This can/will cost more in the long run than if they got a more appropriately sized unit.

NOTE: I get efficiencies aren't always x = y, but to run at most 30-40% load could potentially have a decent effect on overall efficiency, and thus, energy costs.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Here you can see the efficiency http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=346 At 203.7W/227.1W 89.7% which this system could reach under full load its still very efficient. But at lower loads 120W/145W its only 82.8% so yes their it could cost more.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately, those lower load levels would be what it runs at the majority of the time, only hitting the higher loads occasionally. At least in normal uses lol.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

yep 100% true.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Still a hell of a deal, though. I would just sell it at a profit to buy a more appropriate one, lol.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

We are talking penny amounts between ~200W and its peak efficiency.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_1000/6.html

At 200W it appears to be about 91% and at 400W (its peak) its about 92.3%.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm550x-power-supply,4484-5.html

Why this PSU? Similar enough to the G3 and Focus and Toms has a nice graph for efficiency which makes this comparison possible.

At 200W its about 91% and at 400W it drops to about 87.5%.

Near the 100W mark the efficiency is about is about 88% for the RMx and about 87% for the Focus. That is literally like a 1% difference. Lets look at how much this would cost you to run at the 100W mark (we already know that at 200W which is about what the build will draw at the max is the same)

For 100W at 88% efficiency is about 112W and at 87% it is about 113W. We are literally talking about a ~1W difference in power usage. Lets look at how much that will cost a month.

At 4 hours a day and at 12 cents kwh it costs about $1.61 a month for the 550W RMx and for the 1000W G2 it is about $1.62. That is a literal penny difference.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Welp, it appears I was wrong.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

It will run, but that would be crazy overkill. Perhaps by it to resell it for a profit to get a more appropriately sized one? Maybe the SeaSonic FOCUS 550W.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

The PSU only draws what it needs. It will work fine with your PC.

As for the efficiency issue myth if you look down at this comment you can see we are literally talking about saving a penny or two a month.

For $70 basically brand new its a steal, get it.

[comment deleted]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

You are right I dont but it gives me space for if I need or want to upgrade my pc later down the road.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube