add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

is 850W enough for my i9-7900x overclocking?

thunderbuck

25 months ago

is 850W enough for my i9-7900x overclocking?

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

What else is in the system? Are any of the other components overclocked?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/thunderbuck/saved/86pNNG

might oc the gpu a little. i'm new to this

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M92NXH

might overclock the GPU as well.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

should be. Would be helpful to know your other specs though

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Ur more than fine

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

whew, thanks!!

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

GPU?

Electric performance and build quality are important factors to consider.

What exact PSU model?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140 mm Size Power Supply

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Yes, it'll be fine.

2. You probably shouldn't plan on overclocking the 7900x on air unless you are going for just mild overclocks. A good 280mm or 360mm AiO would be a good idea, especially if you delid.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

about OC, my understanding was the noctua fan i ordered was as good at cooling as water, and more reliable/durable, albeit not as good looking.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

It's definitely a solid cooler and with some good airflow I'd take it over most 240mm AiOs, but it certainly doesn't compete with larger AiOs. Take a look at this review.

Even a good 280mm struggles due to Intel's toothpaste and the sheer heat output, and the Noctua can't keep up.

It is worth noting that the Noctua is probably among the quietest feasible solutions, but for overclocking performance on this specific chip it isn't the best choice.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

what is the best choice please?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably a large AiO or custom loop. One budget-friendly option would be this.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

i read this:

NH-D15, will start to struggle at 1.20V and 4.5GHz

So I'll have to keep it to 4.4GHz perhaps. that's fine with me.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

If that's fine with you, then the Noctua is at least one of the quietest options.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube