add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Corsair CX550 (2017)

carolinafirefly

23 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/carolinafirefly/saved/FHspbv

For this build, is the Corsair CX550 enough if the CPU and GPU will both be slightly to moderately overclocked, or do I need more?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Wattage-wise, the PSU is perfectly fine. It is good quality, though for the price of your system overall you should really be putting more into a higher end unit, such as the Corsair RMx, Bitefenix whisper, EVGA G2, EVGA G3, or Seasonic Focus.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, Rexper. I used a couple of different power supply calculators online, and I was confused because their estimates were similar to pcpartpicker's for my build (430ish), but then under "recommendations," they'd recommend a 650 or 700 watt PSU. I didn't know if I was misunderstanding something.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

How exactly do you know it’s good quality?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Uses an LLC resonant + DC-DC, and performance on both platforms should be equal. Also uses rifle bearing fan IIRC, so overall better than the cxm2015 units.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

The first two are only two small components in what makes a good power supply. Available power and efficiency on the 12V rail are not all that matters, and nobody has done a proper review on hot/cold tests on this unit or the quality of the internal components. You have no way of judging whether it is a better unit to the CXM 2015's without proper reviews. In addition, fan bearing type also has no reflection on the quality of the unit.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

This is just what I've been told from jonnyguru who works at Corsair as a PSU expert and other experts at jonnyguru.com

There is a review of the Riotoro Onyx which is based off the same platform.

I wouldn't say those first two features are small. Pretty much all group regulated units are mediocre, and most LLC resonant PSUs are better than double fowards.

The fan is usually the first part to fail in a PSU, therefore a longer lasting fan would improve the lifespan of the unit, especially if we're comparing with a sleeve bearing.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Saying that the CX550 unit is "overall better than the CXM 2015 units" is blatantly wrong. There aren't enough reviews to show that the fan itself on the CX550 is any better (that Riotoro sure isn't), it has considerably worse ripple control, no modularity, the same amount of warranty, and not to mention a lack of tests on the unit itself could mean bait-and-switch.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I saw that quote (jonnyguru saying it was basically the same as the Riotoro Onyx) in the forum over there. I think he's a pretty trustworthy source, though a specific review would be better. The biggest negative for the Onyx was a 40mV 12V ripple, which doesn't sound that bad, really, but the G3's was still much better.

Of course, I only learned what what ripple control was about two hours ago, sooo I should probably stay out of the conversation about it lol.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

It is definitely plenty. PCPP wattage estimator guesses a bit high for safety. But, I do have to agree with Rexper. A better quality PSU would be more in line with the other components you have in this build. They already mentioned it, but I will again suggest the SeaSonic FOCUS line. They are great PSUs and aren't too unreasonably priced.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks, tragiktimes101. I do get a "one of these things is not like the others" sense when I look through the components and get to the PSU. I'll look into the FOCUS line.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

ONE OF THESE THINGS MUST DIE!

Sorry, deeply ingrained...

Here is a JohnnyGuru review of the 550W model for your convenience.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

The CX 2017 is an unreviewed unit, and should be avoided. Consider Seasonic FOCUS, or G2/G3 SuperNOVA.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I went with the EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G3 for $58.39. I'm going to resell the CX550 and hopefully get at least what I paid for it, considering I got a good deal on it and it's unopened. Um, but I already sent the UPC in for rebate. Eh, it'll work out. Recently sold ones on ebay in "new (other)" condition went for good prices.

Thanks for the advice, y'all. I do feel better with a G3 after researching the differences in 12v ripple between it and the CX line.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube