add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Psu fan ramps up loudly?

dwang040

26 months ago

What is going on and is this a common thing?

I have the seasonic g series 550w psu and I've noticed that during certain games, the psu will get quite loud. To put it in comparison, it's louder than my cryorig r1 cooler with stock fans at 100% and it's louder than the evga 1080 ftw cooler also at 100%. Not a big fan of this cause I'm trying to get a silent build, and besides this psu, my pc is near silent under load.

So far, rainbow six seige and black ops 3 ramps up my psu. I haven't gamed much lately so not sure what else can. I do recall that borderlands did not ramp up the psu.

If this is just an issue with my psu model in general or something, any psu recommendations that are silent under load?

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

SeaSonic is well known for having relatively strong fan profiles in many of their PSUs. The SeaSonic G series is no exception.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Seasonic/G550_V2/6.html

See the bottom graph to see the sound pressure level the fan puts out a meter away under reasonable ambient temperatures.

You most likely aren't as close to the PSU's specced max continuous output as Matsozetex suggests. As you can see here, under a gaming workload, even a system with an overclocked 6700K and two GTX 1080s requires <450w. Here's another example. Keep in mind those power pull figures are from the wall, so the actual watts pulled by the components is a little lower. I highly doubt your system requires as much power as a system with a similar processor and 1 more entire high-end graphics card, even with overclocking. Yes, power consumption will be a little higher, but enough to equal that of adding another GTX 1080? Doubtful, and even if that's the case you're still not close to 550W in practice. The noise issue is simply due to the PSU being a poor choice when low noise is a concern.

With noise being a concern, look at Bitfenix's Whisper M series, which is generally fairly well priced. If you feel like spending more money, Corsair's RMx and RMi series are also great when it comes to noise. EVGA's G2 650w and 750w are also good in this department (the G3 series - commonly recommended over the G2 series since they're usually similarly priced - under 850W hasn't yet gotten the same independent 3rd party sound pressure level measuring as the others).

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback! Didn't mean earlier that seasonic had heavy fan profiles bit it's good to know now. Some forums were saying things like fan was broken and stuff which seemed a little odd and too extreme.

I'll check out the 3 psus you mentioned. No a lot of fanless psus as I thought there would be.i the market, not to mention much more expensive due to titanium certification. Thanks again

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Just curious, do you think I should go 650w? I mean, I was certain that 550w would be enough and you confirmed it as well, but idk, just for the sake of being way too "overkill" for the systems need and for (unknown) safety?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 26 months ago
  • 1 point

This is my build list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JJnpqk

I have overclocked my cpu, ram, and gpu. Not sure if those affect them. Cpu is overclocked to 5GHz @ 1.375v, ram is 3200MHz @ 1.2v, and gpu is +150MHz with it running with 130% voltage at 100% of power.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube