add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU The hardest component so far to choose

Neversek

24 months ago

This is my first build.. I've been planning and researching for quite some months and taking some deals and what not, trying to compile a good 1,500€ max computer mainly for gaming, AAA games, some MMO's and stuff like that. The monitor I have is a 1080p 144Hz one and I know my build is overkill for that resolution, but I may get a new, better one in the next year. I've been going back and forth with several components, trying to get what's best within that price range and I think I'm pretty decided on what the final build is going to be and some parts I've already purchased (and those are indicated like so).

However and what I'm here for, the psu I've been picking my brain over it. I just can't decide.. Been searching a lot about it, I was going first for a cheap NOX one, but now I've learn that it's not ideal to cheap out on the psu.. Also I was going for a minimum 850W cus I felt that that looked appropriate without being to expensive, but also learned that being to powerful isn't necessarily good and better a lower power but better components.. so now I'm really without any idea about what to buy.. Latest pick is the Corsair CX650M.

If any of you guys can help me out and give me some suggestions for a good psu for my build I would really appreciate.

Here's the build (I'll have 1 SSD 250gb+ and 1 HDD with 1Tb capacity): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pQpnZ8

The things that are essencial for me in the psu are modular cables (can be semi if the ones attached are essencial cables), 80Plus bronze (although gold is preferable), some room for overclocking my system and silence. The price budget for the PSU is 100€ but I can extend that a little bit if really worth it.

TLDR: Good, modular, for OC, silent, max 100€ PSU for my build?

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Is 550W really enough? Won't it be running during heavy gaming with an OC system too close to the 500W and consequently keeping the PSU close to its limits, generating more heat, more noise, and reducing its life spam? A 650W and maybe a 80+ Gold with something like a passive mode where during Web browsing our something the fan would be idle or at really low speeds and keeping the noise at the lowest?

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

msi gtx 1080 around 254W max

i7 7700k around 180W max (prime 95 test so will never happen)

These numbers are from heavy tests so during gaming you won't see them. So yes 550W is more then enough and with gaming you will never push to the limits of your psu (maybe not even during stress testing). The fan on those psu's won't spin during idle since a computer doesn't use alot of power for just web browsing.

But like i said if you want some more headroom go for a 650W. Anything above that if not planning for sli is not worth it really. But in the end its up to you ;)

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

From my reply with the prices below. I have the EVGA for a minimum 101€ here.. The Seasonic 550 Gold for 84 and the 550 Platinum for 95. I can't find much about the Platinum (I think it was released this year), but there's a review in PC Perspective and they talk highly of it. So maybe from the 3 the best one? Also from that list, since Corsair has so many things and letters and what not an they are supposed to be a good brand in psu..

What in that list do you think will be the best one in only performance and the best one in price/performance ratio?

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Difference between the Seasonic 550 Gold and Platinum is just a bit better efficiency for the platinum one. But overall they will perform the same. For corsair the RM550x https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/3zNypg/corsair-power-supply-cp9020090na is also a very good psu or if going for 650 the RM650x https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/Rp8H99/corsair-power-supply-cp9020091na if they are below 100 euro that is.

In the end all these psu's are very good and difference in performance is negligible. So from that list go with the cheapest one.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

You would be lucky to use more than ~300W. Wattage isn't going to be a issue for you.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

You don't need 850W. Even 650W or 750W is enough for SLI and overclocking.

If I was you I would grab a Seasonic Focus

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I know. I'm now mostly looking for a max 650W. 850W was before I started looking more into the PSU topic. I don't plan on SLI anytime soon and 650W I think it's more than enough and without me worrying much with being at the limit ^'. I may pick a 550W if the quality is really good compared to a 650W from the same price range. Since prices are kinda high here for quality PSU's..

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

For price information on my area:

Corsair CX650M 80+Bronze > 71€

Corsair CS550M 80+Gold > 72€

EVGA BQ 600W 80+Bronze > 76€

Cooler Master G650M > 78€

EVGA B3 650W 80+Bronze > 82€

Corsair CS650M 80+Gold > 82€

Corsair TX650M 80+Gold > 84€

Be Quiet! Pure Power 10 600W > 85€

Seasonic Focus 550W 80+Gold > 84€

EVGA SuperNova 650W GQ > 89€

Corsair RM550X 80+Gold > 94€

Seasonic Focus+ 550W 80+Platinum > 95€

EVGA SuperNova 550 G3 80+Gold > 101€

And from there on.. some things have extra delivery cost's and such but just a general idea. Also here's the link for the site I use to compare prices from various shops in my country if anyone wanna take a look and suggest something from the price range I picked: https://www.kuantokusta.pt/informatica/Caixas/Fontes-de-Alimentacao?sort=3&price=65-125&pag=5

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Seasonic Focus 550W 80+Gold hands down.

review http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=529

Or if you want a 650W psu the Corsair TX650M

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank You for the help!!

I'll do some more research and keep looking for some promotions. But I'll definitely keep my eye on the Seasonic and in 550W PSU's :)

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

That or the G3. Whatever is cheaper.

G3 fails in the hold up time tests while the FOCUS has problems with its 3.3v rail.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube