add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Are modular PSUs really that great?

losse
  • 76 months ago

We all sorta know the answer but I was just wanting some other opinions.

I guess basically it probably comes down to if you will be using all the wires or not, and especially if your not using at least a couple of the wire bundles.

Are there any downsides? I have never used one. I guess you could lose a cable you dont use. Do they ever get loose in the connection to the PSU?

Do you just go for the best bang for the buck and ignore the modular factor?

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 3 points

Never had a loose cable.

I won't build without a modular PSU any more, unless I'm on a really, really tight budget.

Semi-modular is fine - the lone exception being if (like on our last build video) it has two 8-pin CPU connectors. Then you've got one you need to stash away somewhere.

But otherwise, the convenience during build time and the cleanliness of only having to manage the power cables you're using is in my opinion well worth it.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Much like upgrading to a ssd hard drive, I wouldn't ever go back either from my modular psu. There's no way you can make a custom build look any good without this. Very much essential.

• 76 months ago
  • 2 points

Your PSU is one component that you rarely have to upgrade. That being said, having to deal with extra cables in a non-modular psu for a long time will give you regrets. I have a great TX750 Corsair psu I got 4 years ago and while it does a very good job, the cables are a nightmare to deal with. Even with a full-tower case, it is very difficult to try and jam all the extra cables in the backside of the case. I wish I would have spent an extra $30 or so and just got the modular version to have a cleaner look and not have to deal with all the excess cables.

You could always try and save on ram and get 1 stick now and another stick later if that helps. But I would definitely recommend forking out a few more $$ for something you could potentially have 7+ years.

• 76 months ago
  • 2 points

I've worked with non-modular (is there a term for that?), semi-modular, and fully modular PSUs, and the only ones that ever gave me a ton of issues were the non-modular ones. The main issue is where to store all those extra cables. Typically, when you're working on a build with a really tight budget (like Philip said, one of the only reasons you'd purchase a non-modular PSU), you probably won't be able to afford a case with above average cable management options for you, which compounds the problem. The best you can do is round up all the loose cables and zip tie them together, then try and hide them in the empty drive bays. That doesn't do a lot for your airflow though.

Also, I wouldn't recommend cutting any wires that you're not using unless you're absolutely sure you will never use them. The first time I upgraded a home PC, I fell victim to this advice and didn't have the necessary connection to install another HDD.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say that the major current down side the currently higher cost of a modular PSU over a non-modular one.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

If wire management matters to you I'd recommend fully modular. I would never go back to a semi or non-modular PSU.

• 76 months ago
  • -1 points

there all good just hide the wired in side of computer panel if want save money with none modular lol or cut ones you don't use seal them up good.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube