add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$15 Modular 535 Watt PSU?? Legit??

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I cannot find a single review on that power supply, and there are Raidmax units that can be fire hazards, so I would stay very far away from this thing. For all you know, it could start a fire or damage components.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

It has 24 reviews with an average 4 stars on newegg website though

• 25 months ago
  • 3 points

User reviews don't mean anything when it comes to power supplies. They are not going to take the safety, reliability, or quality of the unit.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, that's good to know!

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.xkcd.com/937/

Users generally don't have any hard data on technical specifications of their units, nor do they usually post what kind of system they are running on it, nor do they usually allow a long period before reviewing.

If the box is shiny and it runs a potato for a day, is that worth a five star review?

This is why professional reviews are critical here. By use of testing equipment and disassembling units for analysis, they provide more concrete data and estimations of quality.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

What happens when you try to use it

There is a reason why its cheap. It lacks any professional reviews so we have no idea how bad or good it is and Raidmax has some bad PSU's. It is always the best to assume the worse with PSU's since its the only part that is capable of killing your build and its the part that supplies power to the whole thing. In this case I would assume its one of their crap units and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

What about Rosewill PSUs? I found a Rosewill glacier modular PSU for $15. I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

That has no professional reviews out for it, for all we know its a bomb. I would just stop trying to cut dangerous corners and get something good like a Corsair CXM.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Darkxm,

Correct me if I am wrong, but won't we need an accurate description of the hardware you plan to run with this particular power supply unit? If you could provide that it would be a great help :)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube