add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

uhhh. is this RAM good?

RainOfPain125
  • 31 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/q2H48d/crucial-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-2400-memory-ct2k8g4dfd824a

CAS latency of 17, and is "unbuffered" (dont even know)

surely it's that cheap for a reason?

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

yup

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

There is a reason it's that cheap. The only reasonably-priced listing is out of stock.

Otherwise, the cas is kinda poor, especially for being a lower-clocked set. What does your build look like, and what are the uses? I can make a suggestion for ram based on that

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RainOfPain125/saved/8vNPsY for reference (0$ means i already bought)

well I'm on an EXTREME budget (I've got 515$ left to spend on HDD, RAM, GPU, and CPU) I plan on doing some casual gaming with low settings if needed (aslong as I get 60fps ill be fine) AND I plan to host some Unturned servers at the same time - which is why I want 16GB's of RAM instead of 8GB's

people kept saying that RAM past the 2400 mhz speed didn't really matter with Ryzen unless I was doing gaming or doing artificial benchmarks - so i put that as my designated speed

how important is CAS latency? is it that bad? the RAM I initially wanted (before i had intent on server hosting) was some 3200 MHz RAM with a CAS of like 14 (my board doesn't even support 3200MHz unless i overclock sooooo)

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

RAM speed can impact Ryzen's performance quite a lot. However, if you aren't a stickler for gaming performance, then a lower ram speed won't hinder you realistically.

Based on current pricing, I'd suggest this PNY set. It has good enough specs for what you are doing, and it's priced well. Despite what PCPP says, the Amazon listing is in stock.

CAS Latency impacts the real-world performance of the ram just as much as clock speed does. The CL numbers represent the delay time it takes for a RAM module to access data within the data arrays. A higher number means it takes more time. In general, a higher CL means slower speed and a higher clock speed means higher speed. For DDR4 ram, 2133CL15 is essentially equivalent to 2400CL16. So the Crucial set in the original post is essentially equivalent to 2133CL16. Based on the specs, the Crucial set is about 12% slower than the PNY set (for uses that the CL has an impact). Here's a thread you can read through to see the impact of CL on different uses. There's a lot of clashing ideas, but the general consensus arises that lower CAS is better, especially if models are similarly priced.

TL;DR: CAS Latency can be important, but most of the time it's more important to shop based on price. In this case, the PNY set offers a great balance of speed, CL, and price.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, thanks man! I'm not particularly going to buy THIS set, because the RAM market is haywire and fluctuating a LOT, but when the time comes for me to go out and order some I'll get the cheapest RAM that has the same specs as this one

Also, 2 more questions

1 - What is unbuffered / buffered RAM?

2 - How Come there is certain RAM with the same CL and MHz speeds and amount of sticks and amount of GB's yet cost more? Is there any other smaller things I'm not factoring in or is it just because those ones look cooler, or are more reputable, etc?

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

1- Buffered ram refers to a ram module that has a hardware module that interfaces between the memory itself and the CPU. The hardware buffers data before sending it to/from the CPU in order to maximize system reliability by adding a fallback in case of failure. Most users would never need any type of buffered ram. It's only really useful in situations where data reliability is mission critical, like servers or high-level professional uses.

2- There's not really a particular reason. All ram manufacturers use the same memory modules from 3 different OEM companies. All they do is slap their own names and heatspreaders on the sets then sell them. Some ram sets offer special lighting effects, or are specifically chosen based on the ability to overclock. Most of the time, the difference is just because of aesthetics and brand name.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Does not specifcy the CAS latency, and it doesn't directly say it's DDR4 (It doesn't look like it to me, I thought DDR4 had taller pins towards the middle https://images10.newegg.com/ProductImage/20-156-103-01.jpg like this)

Thanks for tip tho

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

16GB total memory consisting of 2PCS OF 8GB DDR4 , 2133MHz , Non-ECC , CL15 , X8 , 1.2V , Unbuffered , DIMM , 288-pin

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube