add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Does an AMD APU have to sit flush and flat in the FM2 socket before you pull lever?

losse
  • 76 months ago

Need to know...

I have one side sticking up slightly. The side away from the triangle on the APU.

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

It should be sitting flush. Do you have any pictures of it?

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks guys. I ordered the CPU used, was supposed to be slightly used...

Anyhow, 1 row of pins, luckily on the outside, was bent. Pretty much the whole row. I had to take a little screw driver and bend them all back.

Took an hour to install the CPU, which should have taken less than a minute :(

So far so good. Its running ok as far as i can tell for the last day or so but I will feel better after a week or month of use and not problems.

No more used CPUs for me, that was nerve wracking. If that had been pins on an intel board there is no way I coulda done it. The AMD pins are still pretty strong all things considered.

OH, i also had to use a razor blade to scrape a sticker off the freaking cpu top!

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, good job though bending those pins back. Cant believe the guy that sold you it used lied... not only that, but a sticker on top!?

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

You probably did this already, but try placing it in the socket with the away from triangle side first and then let the other corner fall in naturally.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube