add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Whats the best way to benchmark ram on a gaming PC, if any?

losse
  • 77 months ago

Wondering

Comments

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm assuming you want to test before and after overclocking. If so, download AIDA64 and run the memory benchmarks in there.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool, thanks for the info.

I am actually going to sell a couple sticks of ram. But trying to decide which ones to keep for my gaming rig which has a i5-2500k

Would you keep these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145357

or these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

Just wondering if there would be much difference with the lower timing on the 16GB set.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

So you have 24gb's at the moment?

Would you rather have 16gb's or 8gb's?

The lower timings on the 8GB kit are nice but keeping the 16gb alleviates the need to upgrade anytime soon. Real world performance difference in games? Not even noticeable

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats what I am thinking also. I actually just have the 16G kit in at the moment. The 8G kit is just sitting in a drawer. Really no need for more than 8G most of the time but still kind of like having that cushion for future since processor improvements are increasing at a snails pace atm.

About the only game that I can think of that uses more than 8 gigs is skyrim and that I think had to be forced, can't remember. And, like you said, the timing probably isn't noticable.

I have noticed the 16gig kits have shot up in price but the 8gig kits have stayed about the same. Or thats my perception which could be scewed, lol. I got the I have used both kits and they are very stable which almost makes me want to keep 1, but I was going to sell one to get some cash to buy some new 2133 ram for my new APU HTPC ;) Memory holds value well for ebay...

I got the 16G kit for 80$ on sale last March. Now they are $160. I got the 8G kit 3 years ago and they are the same price.

Another good reason to sell the 8G kit is I hate the tall heat spreaders. They bump up against my cpu heatsink if I have them in the left ram slots. I dont overclock ram (ram these says is too fragile) so doubt I will ever by high profile heatsink ram again.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not keep the 8gb kit for the apu build? With those low timings you should be able to loosen then up a tiny bit and hit 1866mhz + with a minor voltage increase

My Kingston hyper x 1600mhz (1.65volt) hits 1866mhz without changing voltage. Went from stock timings of 9-9-9-24 to 10-10-10-26.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Cause I can sell them and then use that money to buy 2133 ram not OCed. I will break even or pretty close with the exchange.

But, thanks for the info. Someone else may find your OC experience helpful.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube