add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I upgrade from the i7-2600 to the i7-4790?

Orcery

27 months ago

I can get a good deal on one and I'm wondering if it will enhance my performace a lot?

current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Orcery/saved/znZt6h

thanks!

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

The Core i7-2600 and 4790 are not cross compatible. For the Core i7 4790 or any 4000 series, aka 4th Generation CPU, You would need a socket 1150 motherboard with a 90 series chipset or an 80 series chipset that's had the BIOS updated.

The Core i7-2600 and Core i7-3770 belong to the Socket 1155 family. The 3770 or 3770k and possibly the Xeon E3-1290 v2 are the best processors you can put in your motherboard.

Always check with the motherboard's CPU compatibility list to confirm that whatever CPU you plan to use works with the said motherboard.

I would expect a 15% to 20% improvement from the 2600 to the 4790 depending on the application. In some games you would see no difference at all.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for pointing that out, I looked at it too quickly and thought I had seen 1155 somehow. Damn it

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

NP,

To further answer your original question. I think the only way you'd see the benefits of a CPU upgrade is if....

You were running a 144hz monitor and jumped to a Core i7-7700k and a 200 series motherboard because you need that extra push from the CPU to get more FPS. In that case you could wait for the Core i7-8700k which is supposed to have 6 cores.

You decided to stream your games and needed more CPU cores. In this case you could look at Ryzen 7.

You're editing videos with Sony Vegas or some other kind of program that taxes the CPU.

The way games use the CPU is never the same from one game to another. You might see a few more FPS in some games but in others you wouldn't. There are some games that would get a few more frames out of the 4790 but it wouldn't be anything major. Since Intel and AMD are adamant about packing more cores into their processors, I would hold off the full upgrade until Coffee Lake and the Ryzen Refresh have already been released.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube