add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
SawseBoss

28 months ago

Right now I have 16 gig ram, XFX R9 290, i5 4690k, Asus Z97-E 3.1 USB, about 2 fans expelling air, and 3 fans sucking in air and a Thermal Take 600w Bronze PSU. Do you think I should upgrade my PSU to a 7xx? Also, What does the Bronze,Gold etc mean and the 80 Plus thing mean?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

Instead of going for more wattage, which you really don't need, I'd go for a higher quality power supply. Examples of that would include a Corsair CXM white label or RMx, EVGA G2 or G3, Seasonic Focus Plus, Bitfenix Whisper M, or Rosewill Quark or Capstone G. You'd be fine with wattage anywhere from 650W to infinity pretty much.

Additionally, the 80 Plus certification is a measurement of how much power that the PSU draws from the wall that gets turned into useable power. An 80+ white certification means that 80% of the power from the wall gets turned into useable power at maximum. The thing is, the difference between Bronze and Gold, etc. only makes a few pennies in difference, even in areas where power is very expensive. Another issue is that companies tend to cheat on their efficiency tests, so a unit that is rated at Gold isn't necessarily going to hit gold efficiency.

It's usually better to go off of actual unit quality, which is something you can find by reading professional reviews of the unit. If you want to know if a power supply is good, I would recommend you look for any jonnyguru reviews for it, as he is imo the best power supply reviewer.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

80 plus gold/bronze is an efficient label. But it doesn't mean gold is better then bronze its just more efficient.

600W psu is enough for your system but Its not really a good psu and already 5+ years old i believe. If you can i would start to save up for a better one.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I appreciate both of your comments. I was not aware my PSU was outdated and sub quality. I will look into getting a better brand as suggested.

Thanks folks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube