add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best 500W-550W Power Supply

TukeStorm

22 months ago

I am not really an expert in PSUs so i dont know the difference between Bronze certified, Gold certified and such specs. I need around 500-550W for my build and I would like to spend the least money possible. Please let me know your recommendations! Thank you!!

This is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/L7CdVY

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

We can't really recommend anything without knowing your build.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Just updated my post! I know that i should get an SSD and i will but later on since it may impact my budget for more important parts like CPU and GPU.

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

Nice, pegotico's recommendations fit.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

You can look up reviews from JohnnyGuru to help you out.

Higher level certifications mean better power efficiency. This means many things, such as savings on power and potentially less heat. These days it is rare to see a decent unit with less than Bronze rating.

Some examples of good units are the EVGA Supernova G2/G3, Bitfenix Whisper, Seasonic (many of their units, including ones they make for other companies, often get high marks, but in particular the G Series are reasonably priced Gold rated units), and the Corsair RMx series. The Corsair Builder series (CXM) have generally been good budget units, but I'd look to the above first. A good PSU will probably last longer than any other part in your PC (some come with warranties of a decade or more!) and save some costs elsewhere such as by using a bit less electricity over that long lifespan.

On a side note, you could probably use even a 450W unit and still have enough headroom to do some overclocking.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh ok thanks for the explanation!! 450W may not be enough for future upgrades i feel like more power will be usefull.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem! If you are thinking you will want to upgrade to a top-end system later, a 550W unit would be more sensible. If you were thinking dual overclocked top-tier GPUs, probably higher.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

No not really, I dont have that much money :(

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Who knows what will happen in even five years' time? :)

The Corsair CXM 550W, as pegotico mentioned, is currently $38 after MIR. That's probably the best budget PSU right now. There is always potential to get a great PSU or other part on sale.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah we never know!! Thank you for the advice!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube