add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is high wattage overrated?

minervyx

28 months ago

Going over 400-500w is kind of ridiculous for most people. Unless, you're hardcore gaming with a GTX 1080 or something, it's not really necessary. Plus, CPU's are becoming more power efficient over time.

For 95% of PC builders, doesn't it just make sense to go the for $30 PSU with the most 5-star reviews?

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 3 points

doesn't it just make sense to go the for $30 PSU with the most 5-star reviews?

No. It makes absolutely zero sense to do since consumer reviews mean absolutely nothing when it comes to PSU's since they can't test its performance and they don't take it apart. There is a TON more to PSU's than just wattage. There is a reason why some PSU's cost $200 and others cost $40.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-we-test-psu,4042.html#p1

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

not always. I like silence so having a psu were the fan doesn't run all the time is great. So even if you have a "normal" system its not always bad to go with a higher wattage psu because even when everyting is under load that fan of the psu (if you have a psu that does this) will almost never run.

So it depends from person to person and what you wanne do.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I only read the customer reviews to see if a particular model has known issues or widespread defects. Take the case of the Corsair AX860i for example as it has a lot of bad customer reviews because of defects. Even this isn't foolproof but I've done pretty well. A long time ago I bought a Seasonic X-1250 which had troubles out of the box and ultimately I had to RMA it.

There are many other things to look at besides wattage ratings. How well does the power supply perform when it gets hot? How efficient is it? How long will it last? Over time a power supply will lose it's ability to produce it's peak amount of power.

Another thing to look at is upgrades because eventually you would need to upgrade the graphics card. Going with something higher like a decent 650w power supply will give you that overhead needed for upgrades. When Yahoo Answers used to function well, I used to answer questions there. You have no idea how many people wanted to upgrade to cards like the GTX 670 or R9 390 but the power supply in their build was only capable of 450w.

The CPU may be more efficient in terms of performance per wattage but even that isn't a guarantee. Both AMD and Intel have recently shifted their focus to servers, which means they're going to pack in more cores. Even AMD and Nvidia are looking at Multi Chip Modules (MCM) for future graphics cards. What's going on is chips are becoming harder to shrink so these companies are looking at alternatives.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

One thing to think about is that upgrading your graphics card does not necessarily increase power consumption. For example, take the highest performing AMD cards of 2014 and the highest performing AMD cards of 2017. The R9 295X2 pulled an average of 450W, with peaks a bit higher than that. Looking at the highest end Vega model, they rate the heat output at 375W, which has at least enough correlation to the actual power draw to tell you that it's probably going to pull around that.

Another example would be the GTX 1080, which on average draws about the same amount of power as the older GTX 980. In fact, the GTX 780 consumed considerably more than either of these cards, meaning that the power consumption of the newer, more powerful card was actually lower.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube