add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Hybrid HDD

StaticShock

73 months ago

I recently purchased a 128gb SSD for boot and a few important programs. I also want a 1TB drive for mass storage. Prices on 1TB Hybrid HDD/SSD drives are only about 10% more than regular HDD (which isnt an issue).. My question is what are the pros and cons of the hybrid v regular HDD??

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been looking into these as well, until I saw the speeds of these being rated at 5400rpm (same as slow laptop HDD's). Besides that, after reading up I found this...

"Where hybrid products falter is with new data. When writing new data or accessing infrequently used bits, hybrid products perform just like a standard hard drive, and new hybrid drives have a "break-in period" while the software learns which data to cache."

I interpret that to mean that it only really acts like an SSD when you're READING new data, so writing data or accessing older data (the bulk of most activity on larger volume drives) is no better.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea i think im just going to go with a regular HDD then. It was the origional plan but i figured i should check incase the hybrid was superior. Maybe it is, but for mass storage of music and pictures and a few random games, it doesnt sound worth it.. Thanks for the info

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the info. i wondered the same thing

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Every build I do now has the OS/Apps on a medium (120-180GB) SSD and ALL media files on a 1 or 2-TB HDD. It's very easy to configure the Win7/Win8 "Libraries" to point to the HDD so it's seamless. For most situations that's the best plan (depending on how fast you fill space).

Another option is to find the biggest SSD you can afford that you know you won't fill for a while and take a small hit to your wallet now to have everything on one fast drive. I'm looking at the Samsung EVO 750GB for my next build, at $400 I'll have fast storage that I know I won't fill for at least a few years.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube