add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Are chords ok under power supply?

DA_McCoy

29 months ago

I'm in the process of building my PC and my case (corsair air 540) put some sata cables right under the metal supports for the power supply. I'd post a photo but I'm not sure how to do that here.

Basically There are these 2 metal supports about the height of a standard LEGO block. the connector for sata cables (there's a hot-swap section on the other side of the case) goes directly under the power supply and is very close to it. I'm not sure how hot PSUs get, but that concerns me.

Is it ok? Or is this some kind of design flaw? I can't find any info about it in the manual and I installed the power supply like I was supposed to.

Thanks!

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

Cables are rated for pretty high temperatures since the only thing in it that can go bad is the thermoplastic coating. They are typically rated for much higher temperatures than the inside of a PC build can get.

Back when I built in the Air 540 I did the same thing and never had any issues. The only possible issue would be if the cables are covering the PSU air vent (which could be bad for the PSU), but the mounting in the 540 doesn't really allow for that to happen anyway.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

The vent is where the power switch is, right? If so, it's completely clear.

The fan is on the side of the case vent and that is also clear.

Since you've build in the 540 before I had another PSU question. Only weird thing about my PSU is that the top right screw won't screw in all the way. However, the other 3 screws are fine and the air 540 has those PSU supports so I assume it's fine. Is this an issue? I noticed there's another screw hole in both the case and the PSU (a little bit below the top right screw) but it doesn't seem to have anything behind the screw hole. Should I screw in a screw there? What is that hole for?

Thanks!

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Some power supplies utilize that screw spacing, but not all do. It'd be tough to say if it's usable without seeing the supply in front of me...

It shouldn't be much issue though. Just verify that the supply doesn't move around and it should be fine.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything is secure, so I'll just roll with it until there's an issue. Thanks!

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have your PSU mounted vertical so that the fan on the PSU is facing the side of the case where the vents are?. So the top of the PSU should be facing you/the window. Heat shouldnt be an issue.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I do! The fan on the PSU is next to some holes on the side of the case.

Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube