add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

best platform for ballin virtualization on a budget?

BigAll

31 months ago

Hey guys, long time no post! Im sure you all have very mixed feelings about me still being alive so im going to get down to buisness.

Im looking to get a home server running soon, and from the current platforms it looks like am4 has the best virtualization options for the money (now that the latest bios revisions have proper immou support), but I am not familiar with intel's past (or current really) server platforms and i was wondering if there was a platform i could get used to fit my needs with great price/perf. I do have 16gb of ddr3 (non eec) in my current build that i also hope to retire soon (the ram can be split until then with in memory compression etc enabled to reduce swapping) which saves a good hunk of money by itself.

My requirements for a used platform:
can use non eec ddr3
decent clockrates (id like to stay above 3ghz because of some of the uses listed below) and 8 threads should be okay (basically 4 cores or more with hyperthreading more is definitely a plus as long as i can stay above 3ghz)
good support for things like pcie passthrough (any good xeon platform should be fine here)
Plentiful sata (i currently have a 4 disk btrfs raid but would like to expand)
cheaper than getting a gigabyte ab350 gaming 3 mobo + r5 1600 + 16gb ddr4

Does such an animal exist in reality?

everything id like to run:
router (pcie x1 nic passed through)
proxy server
nfs shares
upnp server
btrfs raid (running on metal, not in vm. Would like to expand up to 8 disks)
Windows vm with a gfx card passed through for steam in home streaming (thus staying above 3ghz and with a dummy plug in the gpu)
Misc other things that should be left on all the time (discord bots, tottent client, etc.)
possibly a couple game servers running as needed.

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

Comments

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, that sounds about perfect!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube