add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Sandforce 12xx/15xx & Haswell Incompatibility

aelfwyne

73 months ago

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?111964-Vertex-2-Agility-2-and-Haswell

Be warned! If you are planning to use any Vertex 2, Agility 2 or other Sandforce 12xx/15xx ssd with a Haswell system, be prepared for a nightmare with no end. The drives seem to work sometimes, but tend to disappear from BIOS, reboot, and generally are totally incompatible. This is not a 1 in 100 incompatibility, it's a don't you even try it kind.

I wish this had been flagged in PCPartPicker because I just wasted money on a refurb Agility 2 180gb along with a new Haswell CPU. And to add insult to injury, my OLD SSD is a Vertex 2.... I'm having to install to a spinning disk (uGHHHH!) until I can solve the issue (by getting a different SSD)...

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, that's terrible. I'm sorry for what you're going through.

It's very difficult for us to stay on top of all possible issues, particularly what looks to be firmware related issues (that I'm shocked the manufacturer won't be fixing... but then again they are in bankruptcy). However, I'll see what I can do to add a flag of some sort for that combination. It is a bit of a unique case - we don't currently do any checks of a SSD vs a given CPU architecture, because this is the first I've ever heard of anything like it. But hopefully it's something I can get in to save other people from the same trouble you've seen.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

i got a haswell cpu and same ssd and no issues meaning its a motherboard or windows issue

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Just to be clear, I don't blame PC Part Picker.

Kinda serves me right mixing old and new that way ...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube