add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What's gonna happen to LGA-1151?

a_random_ai
  • 35 months ago

So since intel released X299 and Kabylake-X (or Skylake-X, idk which), does that mean no more LGA-1151 releases? Is the 7700k the last high-end processor for the socket? I'm wondering bc I've heard Z270 beats X370 in gaming, and after running an FM2+ I feel the need to upgrade. The most intensive games I play are GTA V and Shadow of Mordor. Is X299 worth it, or should I go for the tried-and-true but potentially fading Z270?

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

Cannon/coffee (forget which) lake was supposed to be in 1151...Can change though.

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

So since intel released X299 and Kabylake-X (or Skylake-X, idk which), does that mean no more LGA-1151 releases? Is the 7700k the last high-end processor for the socket?

Socket 1150, 1155, and 1151 are consumer platform sockets. They are not intended to replace or be replaced by enterprise/enthusiast sockets like 2011, 2011-3, or 2066. They coexist side by side offering different levels of computing power and I/O for different customers in different price ranges.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait and see. Even the x299 are having issues with the new cpus. X370 will only improve as AMD will support it for longer and game developers cater to it. As for intel they will keep changing sockets. It is rumoured the coffee lake will use the 1151 but you never know

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

FM2+ to X299? That is a giant leap! Like the pthers have said LGA1151 or even AM4 is a better, and probably cheaper, way to go. But if you have the money, by all means go with X299.(or what is it, LGA2066?)

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

LGA 2066 is the socket used on X299 platform.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

So since intel released X299 and Kabylake-X (or Skylake-X, idk which), does that mean no more LGA-1151 releases? Is the 7700k the last high-end processor for the socket?

It's hard to say at this point. On the one hand, Intel usually switches sockets every two processor generations or so (a move that, as one of their engineers admitted in an AMA, is driven primarily by the marketing department.) On the other hand, they have a new "process -> architecture -> optimization" cadence to releases now, so maybe three generations could become the new norm? Your guess is as good as mine. There's also the possibility that they could release an LGA1151v2, which wouldn't be backwards-compatible with the current parts. They've done this before; most notably with LGA2011, where the last variant (before they introduced LGA2066) was v3.

Is X299 worth it, or should I go for the tried-and-true but potentially fading Z270?

X299 is the HEDT (High-End DeskTop) platform. As such, it includes a lot of extras over the "mainstream" parts -- and you'll pay a premium for them, both in terms of the boards and processors themselves and in terms of the pricey hardware you'll need to take advantage of what you get. This go around, that picture is further complicated by the existence of the i5-7640X and the i7-7740X. So, you'd basically want X299 in one of two scenarios:

• 1) You need some feature that only Skylake-X will give you. Quad-channel memory. Extra PCI-e lanes off the processor for SLI setups, or for a three-way PCI-e SSD RAID configuration. Many cores and threads to throw at heavily-threaded workloads. Tons of attached peripherals. The new AVX512 extensions. Etc. Note that most of these won't give you much -- if any -- benefit if you're mostly gaming.

• 2) You're an overclocker and you want to wring every last possible drop of performance out of your CPU. This is what the 7640X and 7740X exist for. Note that in this case, the 7640X and 7740X are essentially the LGA1151 chips with their iGPUs lasered off, so you don't get the normal extras of the HEDT platform like the additional PCI-e lanes from the processor, quad-channel memory, etc. Thus, your choice of processor will also affect how many of the features on your X299 board will actually be usable.

Note also that you're basically obligated to use liquid cooling for either of these two usage cases. (In fact, Tom's Hardware had to break out an external loop chiller just to get their Skylake-X samples to complete their test suite when they attempted to overclock them, and even then were experiencing thermal throttling.)

tl;dr - If you just want a cost-effective gaming system, you want either LGA1151 Kaby Lake or Ryzen.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

So if I just want to do some gaming and slight overclocking, stick with LGA-1151?

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

From the benchmarks I've seen, definitely. You might be able to push the clocks on Kaby Lake-X up a little higher than the LGA1151 equivalents, but it's extra money for maybe a 1-2% performance boost. If you can afford it -- well, hey, 1-2% is still an increase, but I can't see paying the X299 premium to get it.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

1151 could be fading, but nobody knows because it's at the rumor stage. Rumor is Intel will release their 8th generation Coffee Lake processors in q4 with the z370, or maybe named z390 chipset. No one knows if it will use the 1151 socket or if Intel will make a new socket for Coffee Lake.

The socket 2066 HEDT platform with the x299 chipset is unrelated. Intel has had a High End Desktop and a mainstream platform coexisting for years.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Came across a test benchmark for a Coffee Lake CPU on the 1151 socket on the 3series motherboard, and whether its true or not i dont know but the increase in performance was on average about 6% with turbo boost on 2cores and something like a 10% increase in multi-core performance.

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube