add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time SSD user.

ronv

71 months ago

So, here goes my question... So, I have purchased a 64gb SSD Crucial and I wan't to use it for boot purpose only. I already have the Windows already installed in my HDD. How do i make the SSD as the boot drive and use the HDD for everything else? Do I need to reinstall everything? Also, what benefits will I get from doing this?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/

^ Great article for you. In summary, no you don't need to reinstall everything. Some people think a clean wipe and reinstall will be more efficient but cloning your copy of Windows over has shown to be exactly as efficient. That's not to say that you can't wipe them and reinstall, but it's more up to you and how much time you have.

Benefits: Speed. Flat out speed. Your boot time will increase dramatically on your SSD in comparison to your HDD (for reference, my computer boots from off to desktop in roughly 8-10 seconds), you'll be able to navigate much quicker through Windows and you can put a few programs you use often on the SSD and it will increase how quickly it loads.

I put a couple games I play regularly on mine and it loads everything like maps, add-ons and mods stupidly fast.

Hope this helped!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Great link! I might try this instead of a fresh install on my wife's laptop when I put an SSD in. I have an SSD on my build and get similar boot times to Archon...reboot even faster!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

There are some excellent tips here that will help you free up space on your SSD such as pagefile. very important to read. http://lifehacker.com/5802838/how-to-maximize-the-life-of-your-ssd

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You can just install Windows on the SSD and you will have access to all your old files on the hard drive.

Some of the applications might need to be uninstalled/reinstalled, but many will just work.

If space becomes an issue, you'll want to remove the OS from the HDD, but it's not really necessary.

As for what benefits you will get, it's basically speed of boot (by a LOT). SSDs also speed up the load of any apps you can install on them. With a 64GB drive you'll have room for quite a few apps, or else like 1-2 games if you're a gamer. All these apps will load faster, any time you see a load screen or loading bar for the most part, would be drastically reduced (like quartered or more).

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

so you are saying that I can install the same OS on SSD and not removing it from the HDD?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, there's no problem with that. During the process it will ask you which OS to make your default. A lot of people might prefer to remove the OS to be clean, but as long as you don't need the space it won't hurt anything there, in fact if your SSD ever goes out you'll still be able to boot to it.

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's what you do.

1. Obtain a stopwatch or some sort of timer.
  2. Press the power button and start the stopwatch at the same time.
  3. Once the login screen appears, stop the stopwatch.

If the time is less than 15-20 seconds, you really won't notice a difference IMO. Windows 8.1 boots in 20 seconds on my Caviar Black.

An SSD will give you insanely fast boot times, yes, but like I said, if you're not waiting for more than 30 seconds, it won't make a noticeable difference.

What I'd do: buy a 64gb SSD and install all my games and programs on it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube