add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

not sure...

diecewaz

72 months ago

Hey guys! Today I was talking to a friend of mine about the computer parts and ideas for improvement on my build. He showed me one adapter for his motherboard and on the same site there was an adapter for an SD card. So my question is : Can I instead of an SSD get an SD with an adapter to put my OS? And If so is it viable? And how does it work? (instalation of the OS and running it)

Thanks ^

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

There is no benefit...

SDXC/SDHC 128GB has 10MB/s write speed and costs ~$100

Samsung EVO 120GB has 410MB/s write speed and costs the same

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

gotcha going ssd thx for your time ^

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

SD cards have much, much lower read/write speeds than SSDs.

Is this the product you're talking about?

Anyways, the only useful scenario I can imagine for such a product is using it as an SD card reader that is hot swappable if you do video/audio production and record to SD cards. As a regular storage drive it costs you more than a regular SSD and performs much worse.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

What I was talking about is THIS!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, well that model is not hot-swappable and it only supports one SD card, so it's even less worth it than the other product I mentioned. Can't really think of a reason to use that one to be honest.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

hmmmm okay then erasing from my toughts :P we learn something everyday thx for your time.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want a portable storage solution for your OS, you can always look up high speed USB 3.0 thumb drives (i.e. http://poweredbymushkin.com/index.php/component/djcatalog2/item?id=751:ventura-ultra-120gb-flash-drive&cid=33:ventura-ultra)

The performance of this drive in particular is very good, and could offer you the ability to switch between computers easily, is that's something you want.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube