add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New HDD to clear up SSD

MainManMilez

73 months ago

With the Blue also an option, I'm not seeing an advantage. Looking for an HDD to write and store videos on and a few programs. I've seen people strongly advise WD (in that case, blue or black) and others strongly advise Seagate. I'm looking for 2TB if possible, and it has to be 7200 RPM, and both brands seem to offer the same thing. So it all gets down to WD Blue, WD Black, or Seagate Barracuda. ALSO, on the topic of storage, I have a 120GB Intel 520 SSD. My PC boots up in about 20 seconds when I'm set to "fast boot" and that doesn't seem acceptable. If I get this new HDD and put the programs from my SSD on it (leaving only OS on SSD) will it boot faster?

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

...120GB Intel 520 SSD. My PC boots up in about 20 seconds when I'm set to "fast boot" and that doesn't seem acceptable.

• Boot time of 30 seconds with a Windows 7 system would not be unusual even. ZDNet Some boot times with older SSDs, LAPTOP
  • WD Blue is out of contention since there are no 2TB model.
  • 73 months ago
  • 1 point

If your OS is on your SSD, no it won't boot faster. There's ways to improve your boot time though. You also won't notice the difference between blue and black except in benchmarks.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

The black WD Drive has a much better warranty and testing than the blue.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube