add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme incompatibilities?

KingAzaz

30 months ago

This is my build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $328.79 @ SuperBiiz
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $6.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - Maximus IV Extreme-Z EATX LGA1155 Motherboard $629.99
Storage Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $127.99 @ B&H
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $650.00 @ Jet
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founder Edition Video Card $697.89 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair - 750D Airflow Edition ATX Full Tower Case $159.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $104.88 @ OutletPC
Software Microsoft - Office Home and Student 2016 Software $149.00 @ B&H
Case Fan Corsair - ML120 Pro LED Red 75.0 CFM 120mm Fan $24.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair - ML140 Pro LED 97.0 CFM 140mm Fan $29.98 @ OutletPC
Keyboard Razer - BlackWidow Chroma V2 Wired Gaming Keyboard $169.99 @ Amazon
Other Arozzi Arena Gaming Desk Black $399.00 @ Newegg
Other ASTRO Gaming - A50 Wireless Dolby Gaming Headset - Black/Green + A50 Noise-Isolating Mod Kit - Xbox One + PC $339.99 @ Amazon
Other Logitech Z537 Powerful Sound with Bluetooth 2.1 Speaker System for PC, Tablet, or Smart Phone $129.99 @ Amazon
Other DXRacer OH/RV131/NR Ergonomic, Computer Chair for Gaming, Executive or Home Office Racing Series Black / Red $369.00
Other EK-FC1080 GTX Ti - Nickel $129.99
Other EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate - Black $34.99
Other EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM (incl. pump) $153.99
Other ( $ 7.99 Per ) EK-HDC Fitting 16mm G1/4 - Elox Black (Amount Needed: 10 ) $79.90
Other ( $ 8.49 Per ) EK-HD PETG Tube 12/16mm 500mm - 2pcs ( Amount Needed: 3 ) $25.47
Other ( $ 79.99 per ) EK-CoolStream PE 360 - Triple ( Amount Needed: 2 ) $159.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $5137.12
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $5127.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-18 17:00 EDT-0400

(All of the other stuff are just the setup things that I already have...) And this is what the incompatabilitie list says:

1 additional M.2 2280-M compatible slot is needed. Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive and Asus - Maximus IV Extreme-Z EATX LGA1155 Motherboard are not compatible. Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor and Asus - Maximus IV Extreme-Z EATX LGA1155 Motherboard are not compatible.

The thing that I don't get is the M.2 Drive, and the CPU? Both the MOBO and the CPU as a LGA 1151 Socket! Idk... And then I just plain out don't understand the M.2 Drive...

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

You picked the Maximus 4 (socket 1155) instead of the Maximus 9 (socket 1151).

Note the Maximus 9 Extreme isnt in the lists of PCPP yet.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

We're can I buy the Maximus 9 extreme?

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like its been just release

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132967

It should be added here shortly.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Just posted about it, it wont be added to the site due to the monoblock interfering.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry this isn't on the topic, but why do you pick the founders edition of the 1080 ti? You're spending 5k already, why not get something like the rog strix? Runs cooler and performs a bit better.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Because I'm doing a awesome custom water loop with gpu blocks and everything.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh. Nice!

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

A couple of notes

1. I would not get a conductive thermal compound. Stay with what is provided by the components you are getting it has been tested and validated for performance and curing. Also it generally is non conductive. If you are going to spend money consider AX4 or Thermal Grizzly ( if you want best performance )

2. For fans a great choice but maybe consider linked supported fans to sync the lighitng on the board and fans and even LED strips if you add any.

There are fans from CoolerMaster, Aska an InWin that all support synchronication and will run you the same if not less. Plus with the color scheme you have flexiblity to change ( blue, green, red etc )

1. While the founders cards work if you go with a STRIX ( it is alittle more expensive ) you can get custom blocks from EK, BitsPower, TT, Phanteks and others. The benefit outside of improve card design with full support for power target shunt modification with unlocked performance with no soldering ( perfect for watercooling ). You also have two fan headers per card which is nice for flexiblity in cable routing chassis fans. The cards also have a RGB AURA header for connecting fans.

2. Chassis is a nice choice but for watercooling I would consider Phanteks. I have built in both and found the Phantek much easier especially for watercooling.

3. The audio is pretty nice on the EXTREME I would consider keeping the headphone analog and save money while getting better headphones and better mic experience. Go with something like Audio Technica M40X or M50X. You can then do a mod mic. Of course, if you want to go with a wireless solution that is up to you but if you are focusing on audio quality this is a much better option. An alternate option at lower cost with dual flexibility is linked below https://www.asus.com/us/Headphones-Headsets/ROG-Strix-Wireless/

4. Last but not least unless you are wanting every feature of the EXTREME and going to do full dual loops for the GPUs and CPU it might be better to do a different ROG board with a block

EK makes blocks for the APEX, STRIX-E and MAXIMUS IX HERO. They look awesome ( the STRIX also has AURA SYNC support just like the EXTREME ). You save a huge amount and still get a great experience and look. The combination of headers for fans and watercooling is outstanding as well and the HERO has all the custom watercooling zones we developed for Z270.

I personally love the look of the APEX with all the lighting zones and it is a monster for OC and even though you have 2 DIMM slots you have do 16GB or 32GB no problems. Plus the vertical M.2 is awesome https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fb-asus-m9a-monoblock-nickel

Hope this helps! Overall looks to be a monster build! Best of luck! Thanks for considering ROG!

On a side note you did not put what memory you plan to get?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube