add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

can someone walk me through partitioning/formatting?

l13199l

73 months ago

installed an a-data sp900 ssd and I need to get it set up, i've looked at some guides on how to do this but they all seem to be about doing a clean install onto a new os which i will not be doing or it simply tells me to go to disk management and select new partition and go form there, which I tried but it does not work.

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

...a clean install onto a new os which i will not be doing...

• If using Windows7, Tutorial/link click HERE.
  • If using Windows 8/8.1, you can wait for assistance from one of the Win8/8.1 supporters at this website.
  • 73 months ago
  • 1 point

i posted this on reddit as well, got it working, i was just an idiot. Now i have another problem, the acronis true image HD thing doesn't come up the way it does in the tutorial on adata's page for it so i can't get my serial key and the trial won't install for some odd reason

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Tell me more about what your plan is - I just finished migrating a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit install off one laptop hard drive and onto another using Acronis Home Image 2009. Is that basically what you're trying to do?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

well, my plan was what you described but with home premium. I was getting frustrated so i just burnt off a disc and did a clean install to just make things easy on my self

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Well for future reference, what you do is boot into Acronis with both drives (original and the one you'll be moving to) attached. Then you use Acronis' clone feature to clone the original drive (I choose each and every partition on the drive, just to be sure it will be identical) over to the new drive. When I did this, I made sure that it would preserve the original data on the original drive, wipe any/all data on the destination drive before cloning to it, and I also used manual partition sizing to indicate that the partitions I was cloning should not be resized to fit the drive (I was copying to a larger drive but the process ended in an error unless I kept the partition sizes identical to the originals for some reason).

When done with those parameters set, I was successful in booting to my new drive with the old drive removed. If you don't remove the old drive, you will still boot to that drive instead of the newly-cloned one.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube