add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Seagate Barracuda 2TB vs WD Black 1TB

ScubaSteve96

72 months ago

I can get a 2TB Seagate Barracuda for $95 or a 1TB WD Black for $90. I would love the extra TB but are the Seagates as reliable as a WD Black? Also, how do they compare as far as speed goes? I will be getting a 120GB SSD for my OS and current games (just putting that out there).

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 4 points

Yes seagate is actually known to be the most reliable. The speed difference wont be noticable. Go with more storage.

• 72 months ago
  • 3 points

Completely agree...I used to think WD was the king of reliability but in the past few years I've lost faith in them (and paid a hefty price for data retrieval), not to mention I've seen the Seagate 1TB in SEVERAL "best 1TB hard drive" lists. Not only that, but I've read up on their quality control after being challenged for supporting Seagate over WD and seen several reports regarding user fault tied to a good percentage of "faulty" drives reported, many caused by bad power supplies.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm001

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

You, know what your talking about! I too am a Seagate person, I prefer it over Western Digital, despite what people say. ScubaSteve96, I highly recommend getting the Seagate Barracuda - I have one my self (Though only 1TB). +1

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

In the end I went with the Seagate drive, but only 1TB. I spent the $30 I saved on the HDD to double my SSD capacity from 120GB to 240GB thanks to a decent sale on Newegg. I feel as though I would get more use out of the additional SSD space opposed to the 1TB I sacrificed; 1TB should be plenty for my purposes (gaming mainly). I can always add an additional HDD in the future if need be though.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice. It definitely helped persuade me to purchasing the Seagate drive opposed to the WD drive. I'm all about more for your money (hence the reason I have an AMD CPU). I enjoy receiving educated responses, keep it up.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

...I will be getting a 120GB SSD for my OS and current games...

For just holding data on the HDD, purchase whichever hdd provides most GB/$ that you feel comfortable with. Brand/model reliability and such varies continuously. I do not use Seagate or WD for data, I use Toshiba at the moment.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube