add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

VRAM usage at 1440p

a_random_ai
  • 37 months ago

Hi all,

So I was looking around on various forums and sites and whatnot trying to find out how much VRAM is used at 1440p. And the answer would be about 4GB, but that was in 2015. Now, in 2017, has that answer stayed the same? Will 4GB of GDDR5/GDDR5X/HBM2 be enough to give me 120-144 fps at 1440p with all the setting at high+?

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, if you are playijgnover 120fps at 1440p, then you muat be using like a 1080ti but im assumingnits something like csgo, in that case 4gb will be enough but AAA titles would definitely need more than 4 gbs

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Depends entirely on the game and settings. It's usually the higher texture quality that will eat VRAM.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The most visually demanding games I have in my library right now are Battleborn, BioShock Infinite, and SWTOR. I'm not sure how good those are to use as examples, but I think I might get Shadow of Mordor next time there's a good sale for that, and I may even end up getting Shadow of War. Would something like an RX 580/GTX 1070 work for those? Or should I save a bit more and get a 1080ti, or wait until Vega drops and see the performance on that?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Card to get depends entirely on your budget. Realistically speaking to to get 144hz at 1440p you would ideally be looking at a GTX 1070+ anyways which has no issues on the VRAM front. Simply put if you pick up a 4GB card, your likely to run out of GPU grunt more often then hitting a VRAM limit.

Really a RX580 is comparable to a GTX 1060 not GTX 1070. If you can wait a bit, then sure seeing what drops with vega could be a good option.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube