add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

64 GB or 120 GB?

JanTran

71 months ago

So in my build, i'm going to use an SSD for the operating system, and then use an HDD for my actual storage. Right now i'm thinking of going with this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-internal-hard-drive-sv300s37a120g for my SSD, and this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex for my actual hard drive, but I feel like 120 GB is too much for an operating system. Should get a cheaper 64 GB SSD, or just buy the 120GB one?

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 4 points

If you want JUST the OS on the SSD, 64GB will be fine. You won't be able to put very much else on it, as you want to reserve about 20GB of the SSD unused as what is called "spare area" or "overprovisioning" for performance maintenance. I'd get the 120GB instead. The whole point of an SSD is to make your whole user experience feel snappy and blazing fast.

A small part of that is loading the OS, but if you just install all your applications onto an HDD then you're missing out on the bigger picture. Booting up is just a small fraction of what you do on a PC. Get the bigger SSD so you can actually use the SSD.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Agree regarding 120GB SSD, and in addition I'd swap that WD out for this one...

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

I would agree with this. The 120GB also gives you a little extra space to store a game or two. I have a 120GB EVO, and I store all my apps and OS on it easily (with around 70GB left). In addition, I can hold BF4 on it, which I play a lot of, and it makes the game load so much faster, which is awesome on multiplayer when you're one of the first people on the map.

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 2 points

One vote for the 120-128GB size for the SSD due to convenience of keeping the operating system and programs in one partition.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

120Gb, i just upgraded from a 64gb myself. the problem you're gonna run into IS the lack of space. it may seem fine now, but the dumb windows updates and stuff take space. i was installing programs onto the ssd as well, so that could have contributed as well. but i'd recommend the 120Gb. PLUS, the 120Gb version is cheaper per GB on amazon: 69.99/120Gb= $0.58325/Gb vs 49.99/60Gb= $0.833167/Gb p.s you're getting a good deal on SSDs if the price is closer to about $0.50/Gb

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you all for your feedback, looks like i'm going to go with the 120GB lol. Any specific recommendations for an SSD?

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

I've just recently assembled a build with an SSD (just for office use). Before I got an SSD, I was deciding whether I should get a 64GB or 120GB. I plan on getting a 1TB soon, but I'm glad I went with a 120GB model because by the time I get things going (like installing programs) I'm sure I'll be close to the 64GB limit.

My new PC has been in operation for only a week and I've already used up 20GB of space. Running installed applications have been so blazingly fast for me I don't think I can go back to an HDD now. If you truly only want an SSD for booting windows and running office suites etc... then 64GB is fine. However, if you plan to do more with it in the future, do yourself a favour and get a 120GB. Besides, 120GB usually have good sales which would make them only on average $30 more than a 64GB.

I only have experience with Samsung and they're supposed to be very reliable. I've also seen other models like the Kingston Hyper X and ADATA XPG SX900 to be getting good reviews.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Can't go wrong with Samsung EVO 120GB

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube