add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
a_random_ai
  • 37 months ago

Hi all

So I was looking at getting an M.2 drive for my build. They're fast, they're small what's not to love? that's definitely not what she said I looked up my mobo's user manual to check compatibility, and there were only 8 supported drives, and out of those, 1 was the storage size I need (128GB is enough). Does this mean that I have to get that specific drive (which I can't seem to find), or will any M.2-2880 drive work OK?

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 3 points

I wouldn't worry about the motherboard compatibility list on this. The M.2 standard is well established and ASRock has released numerous BIOS updates for that motherboard to improve NVME compatibility. Expect any mainstream brand M.2 drive to work fine in an M.2 slot on a modern board.

As previous said, being M.2 form factor, in and of itself, does not make an SSD any faster than a standard SATA drive. The M.2 form factor supports both SATA and PCIE interfaces. Beyond that, there is further complication, as being PCIE interface in and of itself doesn't actually guarantee much performance improvement either unless it is also using the NVME protocol. An AHCI PCIE SSD will have the same protocol bottleneck that plagues SATA SSD's.

If you want to actually use the M.2 slot to achieve really amazing SSD performance, get a PCIE NVME SSD tin M.2 form factor.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Are there any SLC SSD's available today? Or have hey become extinct?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

M.2 is just a form factor. A sata M.2 SSD is no faster than a sata 2.5" SSD. However m.2 supports PCIe interface.

Which exact motherboard are you looking at and what are you using the PC for?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The ASrock A88M-G/3.1 (I think that's right. It's a black and red FM2+ micro ATX board)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

"supports type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module" That's going to be the M.2(M) in the https://pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#i=85 section. Should work fine, but the 3rd PCIe slot won't work if you have one. Can't tell if that's the 2nd red one, or the black one below it, but one of them should say PCIE3 next to it.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

It's the 2nd red one, so you wouldn't be able to use 2 GPUs in Crossfire.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube