add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

840 pro or EVO?

thesupergeek

73 months ago

SO I have a 150$ budget for a ssd for a secondary rig. I am not looking for fast, only reliable, because anything will be better than the 1TB 7200 rpm derive I have the OS on now. I am mostly looking at the 840 pro or an evo, but I will buy anything with a good recommendation. please let me know any suggestions ect ect.

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

If you want to get the most bang for your buck, my vote is for the EVO. There's actually a 250GB on sale from Buy.com through eBay for $140 (probably only good today only). They do go on sale quite often from what I've seen though.

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

Don't get the Pro if it means you have to sacrifice other things in your build. It's not worth that.

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

The 840 Pro is slightly better than the EVO. http://ssdboss.com/ssds/Samsung-840-Pro-vs-Samsung-840-EVO

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Why did i get downvoted?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

A long read but educational. There are updates at the end of the article.

http://techreport.com/review/24841/introducing-the-ssd-endurance-experiment

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Personal favourite, Samsung 840 Pro. With that said, since it is for your "secondary rig", the Intel SSDs also have good reputation. The controllers may be the old SandForce but have been modified by Intel for stability and performance. The Samsung and Intel solid state drives also have decent SSD Toolbox software to use with them as well.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree, Intel SSDs have a great record of reliability and are reasonably priced.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

? Did you install the current Samsung Magician software and enable RAPID mode for the Samsung 840 Pro?

• 73 months ago
  • -2 points

Definitely the EVO. Because it is newer, it has more features catering to reliability.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube